PDA

View Full Version : cigarette smoke in clothes?

TahliasMom
10-09-2007, 05:01 PM
i bought two velour gymboree sweat suits from ebay. the seller did not state that they were from a smoke home. the outfits reek of smoke! i love to keep them and not go through the hassle if i can figure out a way to get the smoke smell out of them. any suggestions???
TIA

trumansmom
10-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Just washing them should do the trick. If not, put them in a bag with some coffee grounds or a fabric softener sheet for a few days. They should be fine.

But BLECH! Cigarette smoke on kid clothes is so depressing to me. :(

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

Jenn98
10-09-2007, 09:06 PM
my mom is a smoker and so every time we go to visit EVERYthing we take goes right to the laundry room to be washed. If it's something that cannot go in the washer, just let it air dry for a few days. Soemtimes it takes a few days, but it should work!

TahliasMom
10-09-2007, 11:39 PM
thank you. i'm air drying them right now. i'll throw them in the wash later. it does baffle me that someone would smoke that much around their children. :(

xmasbabycomin
10-10-2007, 12:48 AM
This has happened to me on ebay. I had to wash the item about 5 times but the smell did come out. I am very sensitive to cig. smoke. I also emailed the seller but nothing became of that.:(

maylips
10-10-2007, 08:30 AM
I hope you both stated the clothes smelled like smoke in the feedback -- as a buyer, I would like to know that before I purchase the clothes because it would affect how much I was willing to bid. The seller should always state it, I think, but if they don't, maybe someone would put it on the feedback so future buyers would at least know up front.

I guess we should all assume that unless they say "smoke free home" we should assume it's not?

How depressing.

DDowning
10-10-2007, 09:15 AM
One outfit I purchased from ebay just reeked of smoke when I opened the bag. Her auctions stated that it was a smoke free home and when I notified her, her response was that it was her "postman who smokes heavily". Yeah right. Did he blow a big whiff of smoke into the bag before you sealed it shut? (insert eye roll here).

kcandz
10-10-2007, 10:09 AM
That is what I do after one experience. It wasn't listed specifically as smoke free, I didn't think to check before buying. The seller shrugged off my inquiry about the smoke smell as buyer beware.

The idea of notation in feedback is a good one.

rbsmom
10-10-2007, 11:22 AM
I had the same problem - it was a matching top to a Little Mass pair of pants I already had, so when I saw it, I had to get it. Anyway, I had to wash it twice & the second time, I added Febreeze laundry liquid (it's in a blue bottle I think in the laundry aisle), and it totally worked. I air dried it & it smells fine now.

TahliasMom
10-10-2007, 12:58 PM
i emailed the seller a very polite note. i was very nice and just told her that she should have at least washed it and maybe aired it out. i have not yet received a reply. oh well, a lesson for me. i'll make sure to never bid on an item that doesn't state from smoke free home!

PS I let it air dry all night and then washed it twice this morning in tide dye free as my dd has eczema. it's air drying as we speak. i'll have to go check on it at lunchtime but the washing did get most of the smell out!