PDA

View Full Version : Good laundry detergent?

anamika
10-10-2007, 03:10 PM
We use Charlie's soap right now and I can't say I'm thrilled with it. I want to love it but DH hates it. Our clothes are getting dingier in front of our eyes!
I just need the clothes to come out of the wash looking like they were washed - is that too much to ask?
We need something fragrance free for DD's eczema (we really have no clue what's causing it but we like to avoid perfumes).
Please share your recommendations for low-allergenic detergents (liquid preferably). Env friendly options would be nice but getting clothes clean is what I'm looking for!
Thanks,

Maromy
10-10-2007, 03:20 PM
I wanted to love Charlie's soap too, but it left spots on our clothing. I went back to using All Free & Clear and we've been happy with that.

HTH

Amy

DD 7-04

Moneypenny
10-11-2007, 08:56 AM
I really kind of hated Charlie's Soap much to my dismay. We had the dinge problem as well. I ended up making my own detergent that has been working very well.

2 cups of borax
2 cups of super washing soda (arm & hammer)
1 bar of Fels naptha (or Ivory soap), grated

Mix it all up and use about 1 tablespoon per load. I've been pleasantly surprised by how well this is working. I was able to find all the ingredients at my supermarket.

Susan
mama to my 3-year old cutie pie

citymama
10-11-2007, 11:22 AM
We like Bi-O-Kleen (available in liquid and powdered forms). It's available online or at natural food stores. Really good for sensitive skin and seems to do a good job getting clothes clean. Seventh Gen and Ecover are also good options and more widely available. If enviro friendly is not an issue, how about the Clean and Clear, perfume-free versions of Arm and Hammer or Tide? (I can't stand Tide, but it does seem to get clothes clean! A&H is pretty good.)

BTW, someone else just started a similar thread on this board.

HTH!

kcandz
10-11-2007, 11:29 AM
Costco sells an environmentally friendly liquid. I think it has a perfume though. I haven't bought it in a while since the container is HUGE but I can look up the name. I used it after they stopped carrying All Free and Clear, but now am trying out Charlies.

To the Fels Naptha users, do you hand grate it or is there an easier and faster way?

anamika
10-12-2007, 08:57 AM
How expensive is the set-up for this? I might try just a little to see how it works. My poor DH is already really upset about the state of his work-clothes so I can't experiment too much.
I might have to try one of the other suggestions for liquid cleaners.
Thanks,

Puddy73
10-12-2007, 09:27 AM
I really wanted to like Charlie's soap, but it didn't work for us. Our clothes looked dingy and they didn't smell clean. I've switched back to Tide Free HE, which does a pretty good job and doesn't irritate DC's skin. I've heard good things about Country Save detergent, but I haven't been able to find it in any of the stores around here.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

ajmom
10-12-2007, 04:56 PM
We also use All Free and Clear- it doesn't contain phosphorus or phosphates or whatever it is... Anyway, it works great for us!

ChristinaLucia
10-12-2007, 07:38 PM
I bought the one PP mentioned from Costco and just a warning that DD and I developed horrible horrible skin issues that went away as soon as I stopped using it. Of course it took me forever to figure out it was the culprit.

bubbaray
10-12-2007, 08:55 PM
We are currently using Arm & Hammer Essentials perfume & dye free.

http://www.epinions.com/content_404730646148

DD#2 has severe eczema and is under treatment by the top dermatologist at our Children's Hospital (and is using 5 different steriod ointments....). Anyway, they said to keep trying until we found a laundry detergent that agreed with her. Make sure its perfume & dye free. Also, I rinse twice and in the 2nd rince, I add white vinegar (about a cup). NO BOUNCE OR OTHER FABRIC SOFTENER. That is the most important thing. I'm using dryer balls.

The Essentials gets stuff pretty clean. I have to say, overall I'm impressed with it. I go through buckets of the stuff and wish it was more concentrated (b/c it seems environmentally unfriendly to go through a bottle a week, but I do recycle). It's not cheap, but its cheaper than Seventh Generation, which is about 4x the price and didn't get our clothes clean at all.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

anamika
10-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Thanks all. I think like the PP said we will have to try each of the recommendations before we figure out what works best for us. But at least I have a short list now!
I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one hating the Charlie's - not sure why this makes me feel better but it does :)
Thanks again,

Moneypenny
10-15-2007, 08:54 AM
It's very inexpensive. You get a huge box of borax and super washing soda for a couple of bucks each. The Fels naptha was a little over a dollar. I'm not sure how many batches of detergent you can make out of one box of borax and the washing soda, but it's a lot. I also made some dishwashing detergent out of it because I have so much.

Also, since you only use a tablespoon for each load, each batch will last a very long time. I started using this a couple of months ago and I'm still on my first batch. You can also use borax for other cleaning - DH cleaned the bathtub with it the other day and it worked really well.

Susan

anamika
10-15-2007, 11:05 AM
Thanks,Susan. I'm going to check into it. I like the idea of making my own. I'll probably get some regular washing liquid too just to get the dinginess out initially from the clothes.
Is there a particular aisle they're in in the supermarket?
Thanks,

mimieliza
10-17-2007, 11:14 PM
I hated Charlies, too, and it gave my DD a rash from washing her cloth diapers in it. Now I just use Tide Free and it's fine.

SnuggleBuggles
10-18-2007, 07:02 AM
Oh, that's good to know it doesn't contain that ingredient (I can't remember which it is either :)).

Bteh

Moneypenny
10-18-2007, 09:05 AM
Oh, I just saw this. The borax and super washing soda are with the regular laundry detergent. The fels naptha is in by the body soap in my store, which was not where I expected it to be.

I do alternate this homemade with regular Era or something because DH bought a huge jug of it at Sam's club and I'm trying to use it up. I'd say I use the Era once a month or so.

Susan

TahliasMom
10-18-2007, 03:54 PM
I have sadly had no luck with detergents. Used All Free when DD was little. But the last 2 years the stains are worse and it just doesn't work even when I pretreated with Shout. I have tried many brands and I just can't get the stuff clean. :( I even put in Baby Oxy and that seems to help but not much. What works for my stuff is Tide with Bleach Alternative, which I hate to admit cuz it's not earth friendly, but I have not been brave enough to try it on DD's stuff. I might revist some of the suggestions.

fivi2
10-22-2007, 12:09 PM
I asked a similar question over on Around the House not too long ago. My girls have eczema also. Anyway - I hate 7th Gen - it doesn't clean our clothes. Bi-O-Kleen has been a little better, but I honestly think I will go back to All Free and Clear or Cheer Free when I use up the Bio-Kleen. I may try the Arm and Hammer essentials.

This link has some good suggestions:
http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/detergentchoices.htm

Good luck!

TahliasMom
10-22-2007, 01:40 PM
i just bought the huge cosco eco laundry detergent. i'll have to try it out on dd's clothes. it's hard to tell this time of the year what's really aggravating her skin because i have the artifical heating to factor in. plus the cold weather (ok we're in nor cal so it's not too bad) also dries her skin out.

not to highjack the thread, but you all seem to have kids with skin issues so you're the perfect audience. what is your fav lotion for dry/eczema skin. i just bought the Eucerin Anti-itching lotion. We were using the Eucering Calming one. Any reviews?

i'll definetly try the arm & harm essentials next...

bleujeans
10-23-2007, 11:36 AM
I just saw over the weekend that Target is carrying Triple Paste Eczema Lotion/Paste .... haven't tried it - just passing along. I love TP for diaper rash.

TahliasMom
10-23-2007, 12:05 PM
thanks! after reading that I think I'm going to return the gian bottle of Eos. I'm going to try to find the Planet Ultra and Trader Joe's Next to Godlines...Why can't someone make a detergent without all the crap in it????

On a quest to find a non irritating laundry detergent

calebsmama03
10-25-2007, 04:53 PM
FWIW, I love the Costco one (this is the one ours carries http://www.2cleannatural.com/product/644632-20000 ) and I love it. I have very sensitive skin and have had no issues with it.

If it doens't work out for you, I also really like Mountain Green (avaiable at Whole Foods type places). THey have one with scent (EO based) and one without, so watch the label. It is HE compatible.

s7714
10-25-2007, 10:54 PM
With the Costco stuff, how strong is the citrus scent on the washed clothes? My DH always gets headaches if his clothes having any kind of scent, so I've been kind of afraid to try this stuff.

TIA,
Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

Melanie
10-25-2007, 11:29 PM
I REALLY like Sensi-Clean (or 'Sport Wash' it is also known as; same product different label). I never need fabric softener, and it leaves them very soft and clean.
http://www.atsko.com/products/laundry-care/sensi-clean-iritation.html
I do not know what the 'ingredient' list is, though it says on their website:
"Totally free of dyes, fragrance, phosphates, oxidizers, color, fluorescent whiteners, and lubricants. "

The only thing I dislike about it is either planning enough ahead to order it online (which I didn't - we're out and our laundry is a mess with my stand-bys) or slinking into Walmart and buying the sportwash when I wish to boycott them.

ETA: I just noticed they sell shampoo now, too. I'm going to buy that and see how it is.