PDA

View Full Version : Honest opinion- thoughts on matching Christmas dresses for sisters?

cdlamis
10-10-2007, 10:09 PM
I just bought matching dresses for my girls for Christmas. Surprisingly, DH is the one who insisted they match (he is oddly picky about their Christmas dresses). :)

FWIW- I bought this Hanna dress from someone on SWAP.
www.hannaandersson.com/style.asp?from=SC%7C4%7C2%7C24%7C25%7C1%7C%7C

Be thruthful, what do you think? Is it cute since they are little or is it cheesy?

*Edited to fix the link. The old link now shows a different dress! How weird!

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6/02
and Bella 12/04
"http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif"

MeAndMyStar
10-10-2007, 10:17 PM
I think it's nice. My mom dressed me & my sister alike for some photos when we were young and it was really cute :)

Melanie
10-10-2007, 10:32 PM
I like matching outfits. I figure until they complain, it's my choice. :)

Wife_and_mommy
10-10-2007, 10:40 PM
I remember hating it growing up but it might be because my mom/grandma(who made our dresses) did it too long. I love it when they're little, say under 4? or maybe 5? After that I think something that just coordinates but isn't exactly matching works better.

I love them most when they are sleeping.--Me
http://b4.lilypie.com/HSUwm4.png http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif

http://b2.lilypie.com/pXphm4.png http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

s7714
10-10-2007, 10:43 PM
I usually buy matching (or at least coordinating from the same line) clothing for my DDs to wear for holiday events. Party because I think it's kind of cute and partly because I always end up having a hard time deciding which outfit to get for which DD. Buying the same outfit for both is just easier sometimes!

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

lizajane
10-10-2007, 10:51 PM
i match my boys nearly every day. at least in the same colors. i am all about matching. go for it.

10-10-2007, 11:47 PM
Matching is cute while they're young. Better do it this year before your oldest starts to complain. Besides that dress is adorable.

Christine w
mom to John 11.19.05 and Kate 1.25.07

Happy 2B mommy
10-11-2007, 08:06 AM
Matching is fun when they are little, probably up to kindergarden. I don't think it's at all chessy. The dress is very cute, but a bit formal for my taste. DH, on the other hand, would have picked that exact dress. He also is very picky about what DD wears for pictures and tends to be a bit more formal than I.

I'd say if you and DH like the dresses, keep them and don't worry what others think.

jadamom
10-11-2007, 08:07 AM
I do this, and they love it (for now).

mapg
10-11-2007, 08:57 AM
I figure you have only a year or so until the older girl balks, so good luck and enjoy for now. My older daughter refused to match from the beginning, but she was 6 years older. Your girls are closer together so it works.

egoldber
10-11-2007, 09:27 AM
I dress Sarah and Amy matching all the time. Sarah is the one who insists on it! I figure I only have a small window of time until she doesn't want to match Amy any more, so I am milking it for all its worth while she lets me!

Dcclerk
10-11-2007, 12:12 PM
I love it, and so do my kids. In fact, my oldest and only boy is often bummed that he can't match the girls. The other day he told me he wanted to buy a flower shirt so he could match the girls, too ;) I think it is adorable.

AngelaS
10-11-2007, 12:29 PM
My girls match or coordinate a lot. The first two did a LOT and now they all often coordinate, especially for holidays. :)

colleenfs
10-11-2007, 02:40 PM
First of all, that is a lovely dress.

I like to match my girls for special occasions. They are almost 6 and 2.25 now. They love it! We also have a few other special matching outfits that they like to wear together on occasion - like their playdress sets.

Go for it now, while you can! They will look darling.

~Colleen
Julia, 1-10-02
Emma, 7-27-05

“I do believe in fairies. I do, I do.�

CiderLogan
10-11-2007, 02:42 PM
I love matching my girls, especially for holidays. They didn't have matching stuff last Christmas (both had hand-me-downs, and it just felt too wasteful to buy more), and I really regretted it. My older DD loves it, and the younger one has no idea.... and I absolutely love matching them, so I'll do it as long as I can.

A friend IRL buys matching stuff for her girls but in different colors (like you could do with this dress, for instance). That's cute too.

Meanwhile, I am looking for a black/red plaid jumper or a dark blue corduroy Christmasy jumper that I could get for my 4yo so she could coordinate with stuff my 1yo has been handed down without having to buy new for both of them.

-J (Mama to two amazing girls, ages 1 and 4)

kcimato
10-11-2007, 03:09 PM
I'd match them since you only have a short time to do this before they start having opinions. However, I like the idea of different colors.

bubbaray
10-11-2007, 03:27 PM
I match my DDs, usually at the request of DD#1. I figure, I'd better do it now, b/c soon one of them isn't going to want to play anymore, LOL!

I'm doing matching Hanna PDs for Christmas as DD#1 only likes knit dresses and DD#2 has such severe eczema that I have to be really careful of what fabrics I dress her in (only cotton, only washable, etc.).

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

SnuggleBuggles
10-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Pretty dress. :) But, I do not like matching siblings. Coordinating, not matching.

Beth

tina-t
10-11-2007, 05:46 PM
It's a very pretty dress. I'm probably in the minority when I say that we prefer to coordinate and not match exactly.

hbridge
10-11-2007, 06:44 PM
I always hated the matching dresses growing up. My parents only dress us in matching outfits on special occasions, but then I had to wear those dresses not only when we matched, but later as hand-me downs as well. Therefore, I will coordinate, but never match my children.

Drag0nflygirl
10-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Heck - I even like it when Mom matches.

Nancy