PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Winter outerwear for 3 y.o. DS

Mamma2004
10-19-2007, 06:03 AM
Many thanks for your suggestions! I ended up ordering from Rugged Bear and yesterday we received the gorgeous new ensemble for DS! It is so warm and so beautiful - thank you for vouching for the quality!

DS is 3 and goes to preschool three days per week. I love that they go to the playground at least twice per week, weather permitting, and we have been asked to get their winter outerwear now so that our children will be prepared for that first early frost/snow/chill.

Since they grow so quickly, I was hoping not to spend a fortune. However, I have been checking our children's consignment shop every week with no luck.

Where do you suggest I shop, and what will DS need for winter playground fun in New England? I'm guessing traditional snow pants (with the bib) are a nightmare due to bathroom issues (don't get me started on that one as I might cry!). What sort of jacket would work for playground, sledding, building a snowman? Snowsuits were easy but now I'm confused.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Stephanie

SnuggleBuggles
10-19-2007, 07:19 AM
For ds we had a coat (bought Target ones a few years and they were fine, splurged on a Lands' End one last year which we should be able to wear this year too), snow pants or bibs, then extra plenty of mittens/ gloves and hats (they always seem to get lost!). I also buy cheap snow boots somewhere for him to keep in his cubby at school.

Check out Old Navy, Target, and The Children's Place (decent boots there).

Beth

Ps- don't stress the potty training thing! Boys usually get there around 4yo. If it's turned into a power struggle just back off. It really will click when it he is ready. Should be pretty easy too when they drive the process!

Mamma2004
10-19-2007, 08:53 AM
Beth, thank you so much for your reply...and for your reassurance regarding potty training!!! I have backed off and cannot believe that at nearly 3 years 5 months, DS is perfectly content to remain in diapers. Ugh.

Anyway, I was debating whether to splurge on Lands' End/LL Bean or not. Maybe I'll check out the other stores beforehand. DS is an only so I can't even hand down great clothes to a sibling!

Thank you!

Stephanie

deenass
10-19-2007, 04:29 PM
You might look into "grow with me" snowpants - they have a hem that can be let down so that you can use them for multiple years ...I find them at The Rugged Bear (I think they have a website).

colleenfs
10-19-2007, 04:35 PM
We're in New England too (near Boston.) Do you have Rugged Bear near you? They are also online, but most of their stores are in our area. I usually get the girls' last year's style coats from there, along with bibs. They are really the best for keeping them warm and dry. The teachers at DD's preschool all help get the kids dressed for outdoor play.

I like the Kamik or SR boots as they are nice and flexible and easy to get on and off. I also saw boots at Target that look similar to the SRs for about $15.

~Colleen
Julia, 1-10-02
Emma, 7-27-05

“I do believe in fairies. I do, I do.�

Mamma2004
10-20-2007, 07:16 AM
Sadly, our Rugged Bear right here in town closed when DS was born :-(

I just looked at their website and found the following:

Kids Snowbird V Winter Jacket
Boys Rover Bib Winter Snow Pant
Boys Fleece Lined Winter Mittens

I worry about ordering online because I have no idea whether they'll fit. DS is 3 so would a size 4 be outrageously huge? Dare I hope to get two seasons from outerwear during preschool growth spurts?!

Thanks to PP for mentioning the grow-with-me snowpants. What a great idea!

I should check some stores, I know, but I fear we're already going to have trouble with selection.

Thank you!
Stephanie