PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to make a Harry Potter costume?

jess_g
10-27-2007, 02:19 PM
My son decided to be Harry Potter for Halloween and I am wondering if I make him a cape and he wears a shirt he already has and his own pants what else will he need to make him look like Harry? I don't think there can be that much to it can there?

Thanks for any advice,

Jessica.

Ceepa
10-27-2007, 05:06 PM
glasses, lightning scar, robe rather than a cape, striped scarf or striped tie, carry a wand and/or broomstick.

rlu
10-27-2007, 06:49 PM
ditto, except you could drop the robe if you want since they wear street/muggle clothes outside of school.

The striped scarf/tie should be red or burgundy and gold. Official scarves/ties here http://harrypotter.wbshop.com/cat/Harry-Potter/Clothing-and-Accessories/Scarves-and-Ties/

There are a few ways to make a wand, just google "make potter wand". I took some staking bamboo from my garden supplies, sharpened one end to a gentle point, painted it brown and then put bronzing stuff over the brown. I added a patch of leather at the other end as a handle. Not movie-authentic, but worked for me and my neice.

Have fun!

mamababa
10-29-2007, 03:42 PM
Well, it depends on how old your son is! If he's not old enough to tell you himself what exactly HP should wear, then I'd think you can get away with the glasses, scar, cape (or robe, but little ones usually don't discriminate) and wand. I've found that kids are usually satisfied with much less than we are and that they don't need authenticity as much as bits that suggest the costume.

Have fun!

C99
10-30-2007, 09:02 PM
DS1 was HP last year for Halloween. He wore a black cape, a pair of tortoise shell glasses (mine, old, w/ lenses removed), and I made him a burgundy and yellow scarf. He wore it all over his regular clothes. I also put a lightning bolt-shaped mark on his forehead w/ eyeliner.