PDA

View Full Version : Pumps?

Vikki
07-10-2000, 04:04 PM
I am an expecting first time mom -5 weeks and counting! While I plan to breastfeed, I plan to either rent or purchase a pump to allow for flexibility and to enable my husband to participate in feeding via bottles. Several people have suggested that I rent the pump from the hospital, others have suggested buying the high-end Medela pump.

Opinions?

caramia2000
07-10-2000, 09:45 PM
I purchased the Purely Yours Pump and it has been terrific. Dual pumps, not as obtrusive as the larger bags, love that it also works with batteries.

moconnor
07-11-2000, 08:31 PM
I have the Medela pump in style - retails for $250 (couldn't find it cheaper anywhere, I think Medela won't let it retail for less). I am just about to return to work, but have used my pump steadily for the past 3 weeks (mimicking the daily 3/4 pumpings I'll have to do at work and getting my breast-loving baby used to a bottle - not any easy task) and was using it at least once every day or so prior to that just to get a stockpile in the freezer (great when you're engorged and have all that excess milk and can also often use some relief!).

I have never tried another pump, but am very satisfied with the Medela. The only drawback is that it doesn't operate on batteries (actually, it does, but the rechargeable battery pack is $150 which for most people means it doesn't operate on batteries!). I did, however, purchase the car lighter adaptor which I have used several times. I didn't really look into others since a friend and a colleague both had the pump in style and both liked it. My friend had a older version (about 3 years) so she was impressed when she saw the new speed control. There are 2 ways to control the pumping: strength (equivalent to how hard your baby sucks) and speed (equivalent to how rapidly your baby sucks). Nothing more to it than that. Yes, it is bulky, but now that I have a baby I'v gotten used to shlepping!

Good luck with the decision and the baby!

Jessie
07-12-2000, 11:20 AM
I have the Medela Pump In Style, and have been back at work for 6 months now, part-time. I began using it the first week I was home from the hospital because my son had problems latching on at first. Now I do it once a day at work.

I like this pump very much, but have heard good things about the Purely Yours from 2 mom friends who work full time. PY is a little lighter, I think. But I also read it's noisier than PIS. It didn't take too long to get used to schlepping the PIS back and forth, and sometimes, I just leave it at work and bring the parts back and forth only. I use the Medela bags to pump into, so I don't have to wash out/sterilize containers on top of everything else.

I would advise, however, that no matter what brand you choose, you wait to buy until the baby comes and you are sure that you will be BF long term. Rent one in the meantime, should you need it right away after baby comes, or borrow one from a friend first to see if you are comfortable with it. Most moms go in with good intentions, planning to BF and I think that is great, but I had a lot of difficulty at first, with a multitude of problems that began with my son's latching problem, continued into really bad mastitis, and so forth. I was able to stick with it, but I know plenty of moms who bought the expensive pump and did not continue BF more than 1-3 months for one reason or another. It's a considerable cost, after all, and you cannot return it to the store if it does not work out.

Good luck!

Suey68
07-16-2000, 08:45 AM
I agree that you should wait to buy an expensive pump. Buy an Avent Isis to use initially -- it's about $40 at Target and is great!! I tried to use it when I went back to work, but found that I really need an electric pump. I'm going to buy the Ameda Purely Yours, which I found for about $150 on the Internet. It's cheaper than the Medela AND it can take batteries, which I can see being very useful when there's no outlet. Also, I've talked to many people who love it. But, I've heard only great things about Medela also, if that's the route you want to take.

Best of luck!! Breastfeeding is tough at first, but try to stick with it, if you can. If not, DON'T feel guilty -- there are too many other things to worry about!!

Sue

Mitch826
07-17-2000, 03:37 PM
Hi Vikki-
I'm in the same situation you are. After doing some research, including talking to friends who have pumped, I decided to go with the Ameda Purely Yours.
I found it on the internet (ebay) for $138 incl shipping. It seems to have a lot of features that the others don't have.
Hope this helps.
Michelle

wrtang
07-21-2000, 12:39 AM
As others have suggested, best to wait and buy one when you know you'll need it. Most hospitals with lactation consultants will likely be able to get you a free one week rental of a good electric pump from a local vendor. Bosom Buddies provides that in the Denver Area. My wife uses the Medela Mini electric for occassional pumping so that I can participate in feeding our baby and to relieve engorgement. She feels it works as well as the larger Medela pump at the hospital and the rental unit. Only much noisier. Also the hospital will let you keep the breast shields you use and they are interchangeable with all Medela model pumps so you will have spares.

lchui
07-21-2000, 02:00 PM
You've got some really good suggestions from all the moms who posted. Definitely rent before you buy, or get the Avent Isis hand pump for practice. If you'd like to save $, consider shopping in Canada. You can get the Medela Pump In Style or the Ameda Egnell Purely Yours for $300 cdn, which is just a bit over $200 US. A Cdn website that carries them is www.kidalog.com. I've done some research and decided on the Purely Yours and it's great (it does make some noise). I have not tried the Pump in Style so i can't compare.

Gator
07-24-2000, 10:00 PM
I had a breast reduction and wasn't sure if I could nurse. I was able to nurse my son about 1/4 of the time and pump another 1/4 of his needs. The rest I supplemented with formula. I rented a Medela pump and really liked it, but it is very heavy and a pain to lug around. I had several friends with the medela Pump in Style who liked it. The best thing I did was to use a pump in the hospital with the aid of a lactation consultant. I then got to keep the shields/tubing so when I got my rental I already had $40 worth of paraphenalia I'd have to have paid out of my own pocket otherwise.

I agree - arrange to have a rental and have it at home before you go into labor. Rent it for a few weeks or a month - it's often cheaper longer term - I ended up getting my rental in a panic the day I came home from the hospital and it was chaotic.

mgupta
07-27-2000, 02:11 AM
Being a physican I heard great things about Medela Pump in Style when I spoke to my OB friends. It is more expensive but very easy to use. I bought a new 2000 model on Ebay for $200 plus S/H.

Good luck

sarsah
09-07-2000, 10:15 PM
I was going to rent at first, but once I saw the cost, I just ended up buying an Ameda Purely Yours on eBay for less than $140 including shipping. I was very sure I wanted to pump and have been very happy with the Purely Yours. One thing I like about it is that it is a 'closed system', so you don't have to worry about trying to wash out the tubing.

The bag that comes with the Purely Yours is not nearly as nice as the Medela bag, but if you're not going to be working or taking the pump with you very often, you may want to buy the model without the carry bag. It comes with fewer storage bottles, no bag and no freezable containers, but it's also less expensive.

Sarah

gpaik
09-27-2000, 12:34 AM
rent in order for you to produce milk from the hospitals. The medela pump is not made to help produce milk, but to pump it after you produced it. So, after you are able to produce it, you can buy one for $185.00 from a person I know that gets it from a dealer. If you need one you can email me and i can give you info. I am about to do the same too. I'm going to rent one from the hospital, and if i am able to produce, I'll buy the medela pump myself.

hope all goes well,
grace

JennsBaby
10-05-2000, 05:54 PM
My advice mirrors most of the others. I've used both the Avent Isis and a hospital grade rental pump. I love both. I use the Isis when I'm away from an outlet or for quick relief. I think which pump is best for you will also depend on your needs. Will you be working full-time and pumping at work? Working part-time and pumping? Or just pumping occasionally? If you're working FT you might want to consider the higher grade rental pump. I rent the Ameda Lact-e and love it! It is so quiet and easy to use, but it is really heavy. I leave it at work during the week. From what I understand, I would wait to purchase the Pump in Style. It is probably best to talk to a lactation consultant first. It takes some people longer to pump, so if you don't have an effective enough pump it might be easier to quit than continue. So, wait for your milk supply to come in before you spend the big bucks (or rent a hospital grade pump for a month).

Best Wishes,
Jennifer

gaya
10-27-2000, 03:07 PM
>The medela pump is not
>made to help produce milk,
>but to pump it after
>you produced it. So,
>after you are able to
>produce it, you can buy
>one for $185.00 from a
>person I know that gets
>it from a dealer. If
>you need one you can
>email me and i can
>give you info.

I am due in another week.
Can you pls. give me the
contact to get the Medela
PIS for $185 ?.

Thanks!

lgt
11-22-2000, 09:00 AM
Hi! I just purchased a Pump In style traveler. This is a new backpack style that is easy to carry around. It doesn't look like a breast pump.

I work a lot on nights and weekends, and needed something efficient so that my husband can easily feed the baby. I wasn't getting enough from my Isis pump. I found the Medela very easy to use, and I got great results.

I ordered it from a medical supply company on the internet - www.medrhino.com. They had a great price that included the car adapter. Very good customer service, too!

good luck!

mkmom
03-30-2001, 11:26 PM
I have the Ameda Purely Yours and love it !! Bought in online on knoxbreasfeeding.com. I was quite pleased with the pump and the quick delivery from that website.

pearsoka
06-16-2001, 09:33 PM
I love my Pump in Style. I have the new backpack version and have taken it all over. I've also used the hopital pump--very loud & heavy and the Avent Isis--my hand got way too tired!

peg
06-18-2001, 02:00 PM
I purchased a Purely Yours pump about 2 years ago and still love it with my second baby! I bought it because it was highly recommended and was cheaper than the Medela. I suggest considering buying it from the following website www.nursingmothersupplies.com - it's not THE cheapest, but a portion of all sales proceeds go to UNICEF. Also the support from Wendy is absolutely terrific, even if you do not purchase from her!!! The purely yours pump with insulated carry bag, 6 bottles, 3 freezer packs and AC adapter is $198 with free shipping for all orders over $75. (She ships really fast too!) I've used her for all sorts of info. and have always received prompt and most courteous service. I also recommend asking her for the silicone cup pump accessory for purely yours, which I found to be much more comfortable than the hard plastic of the plain pump form. Some say they help you get more milk too; I just like the comfort. They are not advertised on her site, but she has them. Note, I had trouble with the Mother;s Milk storage freezer bags she sells and recommends. Two bags once had no seal in the bottom of the bag and when I dumped my precious pumped milk into them for storage the milk spilled all over the counter!!!!! Also, my sitter told me that some of the bags cracked while in the freezer. I now use the Medela storage bags even though they are a bit more expensive! Good luck and enjoy nursing your baby and giving him/her the best nutrition in the world!!

peg
06-18-2001, 02:05 PM
Regarding the attractiveness of the Purely Yours bag. I several times received compliments on my bag from people (men and woman who I had never met before!) who thought it was a great laptop bag with extra compartments. I personally thought it looked nothing like a computer bag, but they could imagine that it was a breast pump so that was their conclusion. I commuted on a train to NYC from NJ, so presumably these tri-state commuters are a bit fashion-savvy.

alandbaby
07-21-2001, 11:40 PM
suggestion - rent a pump from the hospital for a few weeks and then buy a high grade pump later instead of continuing to rent - only if you want too - after you've really tried pumping and know what rental pumps feel like. Ask for a "pumping kit" in the hospital so you'll be prepared for renting. If you don't get one while IN the hospital - you can get one later though - but I would ask while IN the hosptial b/c you need a pumping kit to use a rental pump.

Jackie
07-22-2001, 10:43 AM
I used the Medela Pump in Style for 3 months. I pumped twice at home and once at work for the last month. The pump worked great, but eventually my son needed more than I could supply and my job was way too stressful (which affected my milk supply). To make a long story short, I had to wean my son after 3 months. I spent $250 on the pump and I would have been better off renting. I had planned on pumping for at least 6-8 months, but It became such a stressful task to breastfeed. I had to supplement way to often with formula, for the sake of my hungry son and my own sanity. I was very bummed, to say the least, but my son is thriving and my stress level has come down 10 notches. I would try renting first and see how it works out before buying an expensive pump.

kellieburke
07-27-2001, 04:51 PM
goodnightben.com has the pump in style for $199. this is the lowest i have seen it. the company is out of canada and i also purchased a glider from them. the customer service is great. good luck

Mitch826
07-27-2001, 09:51 PM
Hi all-
I know I posted last July, but now that my son is almost a year old and I have had a chance to have some "real world" experience with a pump, I thought I would put another two cents in.

I still love my Ameda Pump. Although the bag isn't as snazzy as the Medela, the maintenance and efficiency of this pump is awesome.

I ordered it from a woman (nurse) on the internet and it came to $138.00 including shipping. That included the insulated carrying bag, three freezer packs, six bottles, and adapter. She also threw in a bunch of literature and little freebies. She has been very helpful with all my questions and I know my friends who have purchased pumps from her have been very satisfied. I opted to just go ahead and purchase rather than trying the rental first mainly because of cost. At $138 to purchase, I saved myself about $100 in rental costs so really it came down to a $38 gamble.

Hope this helps and I wish you much luck!
Michelle
P.S. The address for the woman I bought it through is [email protected]