PDA

View Full Version : Avent bottles and Pump in Style?

lmintzer
02-28-2001, 02:06 PM
I am researching breast pumps and bottles, and I have heard that the Avent pumps allow for pumping directly into the storage bags. Is the Madella PIS compatible with the disposable Avent bottle system? Do people recommend the disposable system as opposed to the reusable bottles?

Is is possible to use the bags so you don't have to clean the bottles and then use reusable nipples? This is a bit overwhelming. Any advice or information is much appreciated.\

Lisa

angusmom
03-04-2001, 01:08 PM
I can't respond to all of your questions, but I can give you one piece of information. I don't believe the Avent bottles are standard-threaded. You cannot easily connect them to standard threaded pumps, etc. Avent, however, last I saw, made an adapter thing that you can use to attach their bottles to standard-threaded pumps. If you double pump, you will need two adapters. You should be able to get them most places Avent is sold.

Not sure if this is helpful to you at all but I thought I'd post it anyway! :)

farrah3
03-07-2001, 03:30 PM
Hi,
I have the Avent breast pump and used it with my last child. It was wonderful. I am currently looking at purchasing a Medela Pump in Style simply because it is more efficient--I could do both sides at once. Yes, the Avent pump would allow you to pump directly into storage bags--they make one with a regular bottle and one with a disposable bottle (this is the one that pumps into bags). The Pump in Style allows you to pump directly into bags too. Yes, Avent bottles are compatible with the Pump in Style. There is an adaptor--you will need two conversion kits for double pumping. These conversion kits are sort of hard to find--most places sell out very rapidly. I have found a place that carries them and has the best price I can find too. Email me if you are interested. I would highly recommend the Avent bottles--they are worth every penny. Good Luck.
[email protected]

sarsah
03-09-2001, 11:41 PM
I use the Avent bottles with an Ameda Purely Yours electric pump with no problem. I purchased the adapter and can pump directly into the bottle. What I usually do is pump into the Avent bottle on one side and the storage bottle on the other side. When I am finished, I dump the contents of the storage bottle into the Avent bottle. I have used both the disposable and reusable bottles. At first, I liked the disposable bottles better, but as my son got older (he is 9 months old now), I have gone to the reuable bottles exclusively (don't exactly know why, both systems are very good, in my opinion). My dishwasher heats the water hot enough to steralize the bottles and I also purchased the microwave steralizer.

Sarah....

JakesMom
03-11-2001, 02:15 AM
Before you choose a disposable vs. regular style, please make sure your baby can use it. I bought all the disposable stuff, and found that something about the bags made my son throw up almost violently. (I have a few friends that had the same problem -- something about the rate of flow & amount of air.)

I pumped for six months and used the Avent Isis pump (inexpensive, small, and really fast and comfortable to use) with regular Avent bottles. The nice thing about Avent is that their bottles grow with your baby -- they have sippy tops and handles that basically turn your bottles into cups. It's nice to be able to use them for longer than a few months. Also, I've had some of mine for over a year, and even with regular use and almost-daily dishwashing, not one has cracked.

Good luck!
- Jodi

kat013
03-12-2001, 12:25 PM
I am using the Pump in Style and absolutely love it for it's efficiency. I also use the Avent bottles (both disposable and non-disposable). For some reason, my baby prefers the non-disposable type. I am grateful for this because the Avent bags are horrible for breast milk storage purposes. They must be sealed with a clip. I much prefer the Lansinoh or Bailey storage bags (and I think they can be used with the Avent disposable bottle system; they are self sealing and much easier to use.

lmintzer
03-13-2001, 01:37 PM
Thanks to everyone for all their good advice! It's much appreciated.

Lisa