PDA

View Full Version : leaking avent bottles

sue davis
03-27-2001, 05:21 PM
HELP!! can anyone give me tips on preventing these darn bottles from leaking when being held at a 45 degree angle. I can't tell you how many times I have drenched both myself and my daughter with sticky formula. I am getting so frustrated that I am ready to throw these bottles out the window!!

joodyjr
03-27-2001, 07:22 PM
Don't overtighten the bottle. If memory serves I did read (probably the pamphlet that comes w/bottles) that making screwing on the nipple too tight could cause leaking.
I do know this is foremost in my mind when fixing bottles and have never had a leaking problem.

hope this helps

Janneke
03-29-2001, 11:38 PM
I never had a problem until the end. I also think it is from putting the lids on too tight. You can email Avent. They have been very helpful in the past.

cscbrown
03-30-2001, 11:19 AM
The posted replies about overtightening causing the leaks are correct. According to the FAQ on Avent's website, you should screw on the nipples with just your fingertips and stop when you feel the ring "grabs the bottle". Check their site if you have any more problems, it's www.aventamerica.com.

Geebee
04-01-2001, 09:00 PM
When my daughter's Avent bottles started leaking, it took some time for this thought to occur to me - maybe the nipples are worn out. I replaced the nipples, and no more leaking. I think Avent says to replace them every 3 months, but I think it was 4 or 5 before I had the thought (and they were really leaking). But maybe you are smarter than I am! Or maybe you haven't been using the bottles very long, so this may not be be your problem.

ecarley
04-02-2001, 09:24 AM
Double check to see if you're using the right nipples. The clear nipples are for the normal reusable bottles, and the blue-tone nipples are for the disposable bottles. They are not interchangeable, and Avent admits they'll leak badly if you try.

Good luck!

Belacane
04-29-2001, 12:40 PM
Boy, ain't that the truth. We bought a kit with 2 of each type of bottle in it and once I took Alex shopping with a disposable-type nipple and a non-disposable bottle. When I sat down in Crown Books to give him the bottle, we were almost immediately drenched in milk! I had to drive my poor screaming baby home in a milky outfit to feed him. We gave away all the disposable stuff after that incident.

buchsbr
06-13-2001, 08:30 PM
When I get a leaky bottle (probably 1 out of 10)I unscrew the top, pull up on the nipple to make sure it is securely in there and then rescrew it. It seems to work most of the time. It is highly annoying though. Hope this helps.