PDA

View Full Version : Baby Food - Which brands are the best?

kyle's mom
04-01-2001, 06:59 PM
My son is getting ready to start baby foods. Which brands are the best for him? Is one really better than the other? I have read that some have additives. What should I look for? I am considering making some periodically but would not be able to make all of his food. Which is better - Earths Best or Tender Harvest? Or are these organic brands any better than say Gerber, Beechnut or Heinz? Thank you for your input.

Geebee
04-01-2001, 08:53 PM
I liked Earth's Best and Beechnut. I had to buy Heinz once (out of town), and it seems like I had to read every label to make sure that there weren't fillers (salt, sugars, and starches). Some combinations had fillers, and some did not. With Earth's Best and Beechnut, I didn't really have to worry.

Personally, I don't think that organic is any better than anything else. What I looked for was that the jar has what the label says it has. If it says carrots, then the ingredient list better have just carrots (and maybe water). If it says country vegetables, then the ingredient list doesn't have sugar or other starches (unless it is an actual vegetable, like a potato).

Also, I just don't like Gerber brand in general (more of a personal thing). I did feed Gerber food to a friend's baby that I was watching, and it was gross. But maybe that was because it was creamed spinach. Ugh. I never tried the Tender Harvest.

Another thing to watch for is dairy if your pediatrician says no dairy until 12 months (like mine did). It seemed like there were many combinations that had dairy in the Gerber brand (like creamed spinich). Beechnut had some combinations that had dairy (like fruit dessert or something like that), but it seems like those combinations were the "stage 3" foods (for older babies).

Your choice may also depend on the grocery stores at which you shop. Out of the three near me, they all carry Gerber, two carry Heinz, one carries Beechnut, and one carries Earth's Best. And the store that carries Earth's Best doesn't have a large selection. I found a better selection at a health food store, Whole Foods, but I don't have one near by.

EmmasMommy
07-26-2001, 09:34 AM
We just started solids in the past month. Of course, when I was pregnant I had grand plans for making all of the baby food. However, when the babies first start on solids, it's important that the food be pureed very very well and there is just not anything I own that can grind it as finely as the "Stage 1" foods that are sold.

That being said, my daughter hasn't been picky at all about the brands. I personally like BeechNut...they have a great website and you can sign up to receive coupons from them. We have been saving the labels to send in, because they will send coupons if you save the UPC's. Also, they have various sizes in the Stage 1's and a pretty wide selection (at least at the stores in my area!) Not a lot of "fillers" either....Carrots have only carrots and water, etc.

Not too impressed with Gerber-and they are more expensive than BeechNut. We've tried Heinz a couple of times and have no opinion one way or another on them. We are just happiest with BeechNut!!!

soaplady
07-26-2001, 01:09 PM
My son has started on solid foods recently. I've been really impressed with Beechnut. The biggest reason is they will send you a copy of their ingredient list for there foods. (just goto their website or call them) My son has several food allergies (one being soy) so the ingredient list is very helpful so I know what I'm looking for before I get to the store. Their ingredient list also states whether an item is kosher or not. Good luck to you.

elaine
07-27-2001, 04:21 PM
I like the Earth's Best rice cereal, since it's whole grain. It's very easy to feed and convenient.

For everything else, I just made my own, even when first starting dd on solids. We got a windfall of a friend's bumper crop of avocado, and that plus mashed sweet potato, mashed banana, and ordinary commercial organic unsweetened applesauce is what she started with. Now, I just puree stuff every few weeks and freeze it in icecube trays. Easier than trying to store all those little jars or read those labels.

kzallison
08-11-2001, 03:34 PM
I liked Earth's Best, which was widely available in my area, so I'm not familiar with Tender Harvest. Watch out for combinations with this brand, though, since babies should be introduced to foods one at a time.

Someone on this board mentioned avocados, and it brought back memories of something my daughter loved as an infant that is very easy to make and nutritious. Combine equal amounts avocado, banana, and plain yogurt and blend well in a food processor. Yummy!

sarsah
08-22-2001, 10:06 PM
My son is 15 months old and basically ate what ever kind was on sale, except when I made my own. I think making my own was the best becuase I knew exactly what was in it (veggies and that's it, etc.). Mostly I fed Heinz & Gerber because that's what the grocery stores in my area sold. I did like the Gerber Tender Harvest, but only bought them when I had a coupon & they were on sale.

As far as organic food goes -- I don't go out of my way to eat organic food and I am fine -- I expect my baby to be the same.

Sarah.....