PDA

View Full Version : Pump ideas for a stay-at-home mom

elovesme99
04-17-2001, 03:39 PM
I will be a stay-at-home mom and plan to breastfeed. My husband also feels I should register for pump. I am not a candidate for the Medela pump-in-style. Has anyone else pumped 'part-time' and which pump would you suggest?
Thanks, Amy

Geebee
04-17-2001, 07:33 PM
I stay at home, and I borrowed a Medela Mini Electric Pump. It was great for pumping a few ounces to save for later.

Check out the message titled "How many bottles will I need?" under this same topic. There is a discussion about staying at home and pumping.

Carolyne66
04-19-2001, 04:50 PM
I am a full-time, first-time Mom of a 3mo old. I registered for the Avent Isis pump, and like it. I pump 2-4 times a week. If I were going back to work, I'd definitely go for an electric, but for my needs, the Avent is great.

I wish I'd thought to use it when my milk "came in". It could have relieved a lot of the pressure and discomfort.

Pluses - you can use it one-handed, you control the suction, and it pumps directly into the bottle. I highly recommend this pump for part-time pumpers like us!

wiz
04-19-2001, 05:10 PM
It is incorrect to assume that Stay At Home Moms do not need a breast pump. From our experience a pump is a necessity to give the mom enough rest - otherwise she is on a 24 hr clock cycle which starts overbearing her.
A pump affords you convenience in feeding schedules. At 3 AM in the night you dont have to sit with the baby and breastfeed - your husband can help feed real "mother's milk" which is anyday healthier than formulas.
We did not even think about a pump at birth but were soon forced to go for one. Medela PIS is expensive (at $260 retail) but the way it breaks even that you save on formulas, and you provide your kid with healthy natural milk. If you cannot afford the PIS you can explore other pumps.

bjessen
04-28-2001, 01:42 AM
I am a new sahm. My daughter is now 6 weeks old. I do not think I am going to return to the corporate world, but I have the Ameda/Hollister Purely Yours and highly recommend it.

The Purely Yours is a dual electric pump that is lighter (1 pd) than the Pump In Style, and, in my opinion, has better options. It can be run on ac adapter, batteries, or car adapter. The tubing doesn't need to be washed after every use. There are more settings as well. And the cost is around $150 brand new (in factory packaging) on Ebay.

I needed it in the beginning round the clock since my daughter didn't latch the first week and I had to pump and then bottle feed. I was constantly pumping on the way to and from her doctor's visits every day the first week and did this in the car using the car adapter (it was quite an experience). The second week she finally latched (thank goodness). Although that scenario is highly unlikely, other things do pop-up.

Since that first week I have only used it part-time. Like on occasion when I have too much milk. I also have been occasionally storing some for when I have a hair appointment, etc. and need someone to feed her. I also am slowing freezing some away for when that glorious evening arrives that my husband and I feel we are ready to go on a real date again.

I had no idea how little time I would have to pump. I think I would give up on pumping all together if it weren't for using a dual electric pump. It cuts the time in half and is super easy. I highly recommend you go middle of the road. Spend a little more than a manual pump and less the the Pump In Style. Get the Purely Yours, you won't regret it.

BTW, The First Years makes a great nursing coverup that I have also used to cover when pumping. It comes in royal or navy blue and is lightweight, has a large neck so you get look at baby and baby can see you. The flaps that go over the shoulders are detachable so you can clean them if the baby spits up when burping there. It also has a tiny pocket on the front of the smock that can hold a pacifier (or in my case nipple shield). It is at BabiesRus and runs around $7.

ecarley
04-29-2001, 07:16 PM
I'll be staying at home too, and I've already gotten the Avent Isis pump with disposable bags. Reports about the Isis are overwhelmingly positive, and I'm going the disposable route so I can freeze & re-warm milk without having to do any tranferring between bottles, bags, etc. The Isis is quite a deal too. I got mine from estyle.com for $42, and it's available almost everywhere if you want to register for it.

mkmom
04-30-2001, 08:53 PM
I am a stay at home mom of a 5 1/2 month old daughter (and would not trade it for any job)!! I am still exclusively breastfeeding her and I use the Purely Yours Pump (as discussed by another reply above). I would highly recommend the Purely Yours pump. It was worth the extra $$ !!!

jilldave
05-07-2001, 03:19 PM
I have a 6 month old daughter and am also a stay at home mom. I rented a Medela hospital grade pump for a month as I had many problems with flat nipples, difficult latch, etc. I think it cost $40. I then bought a Purely Yours off ebay for $138. I would recommend renting a pump for a smaller fee first and then buying a good double pump after breastfeeding is established. I use it daily to pump a bottle so my husband can feed her an occasional evening bottle. As much as I enjoy breastfeeding, I also love having a break from time to time.

pearsoka
06-16-2001, 09:18 PM
I'm at home with my baby but wouldn't trade my Pump in Style for anything else. I've also used a hospital pump and the Avent Isis. Neither suits me as well as the Pump in Style. It is well worth the money. I pump once a day and have a nice stockpile in my freezer for use by my husband or babysitter as needed.

cabote
07-09-2001, 11:57 PM
Have you heard about foot pumps? I have one and it is easier that manual pumping. I did not get electric because I did not plan to pump that much. I ordered the Lactina double pumping system and the foot pump by Medela. It is easy to use and can be taken apart and used for regular manual pumping if needed. I plan to do this when I travel because the foot pump is heavy. Believe me-using your leg to do the work rather that your hands/arm muscles is much easier.

sarsah
08-22-2001, 10:24 PM
I am a SAHM too and used the Ameda Purely Yours & Avent Isis. I did not enjoy breastfeeding at all, but felt it was best for my son, so I pumped almost exclusively from the time he was 2 months old until he was almost a year old.

If you are only going to pump a few times a week, the Isis will work just fine. Anything more than that, I would suggest a good electric pump. I bought my Ameda brand new on eBay from a dealer for a lot cheaper than I could find anywhere else and was very pleased with it. It was well worth the money!

Sarah....

ksummy
09-30-2001, 09:36 PM
I am a sahm with a 7 month old. Using the Medela Pump in Style, I pump 1-2 times a day in about 10 minutes. I love the PIS and it has been well worth the $$.

sarsah
10-12-2001, 09:48 PM
I am a stay-at-home-mom to a now 16 month old. I used the Ameda Purely Yours double electric pump and also the Avent Isis. The Ameda was very efficient and I used it quite a bit. I bought the Isis becuase we traveled quite a bit and I didn't want to lug around the Ameda and the Isis was much easier to use in the airport.

If you think you'll pump only a few times a week, then go for the Isis. If you think you'll be doing more than that, I would recommend the Ameda. I bought mine, brand new, off of eBay for $149. You can the it for cheaper if you don't get the extra storage bottles & carry bag. Had I known I was not going back to work, I would have got the cheaper one without the bag.

Sarah.....

brazilmom
11-26-2001, 06:36 PM
My lactation consultant recommended the Medela Mini Electric for stay at home moms. She said that if you are only pumping a few times a week this pump is perfect. I have the Isis Breast Pump (see another message I posted on that) and it did not work at all! I was considering renting a pump but she said that for a non working mom this pump is too much, too expensive and unnecessary.
I have decided to go ahead and make the investment($90) and boycott all Avent products ( once again please see my other message if you considering buying Avent).