PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on nursing pillows?

deanandlesli
05-26-2001, 10:41 AM
I am due in four weeks and have received a NoJo Nursing pillow. Can anyone recommend this type or another type that's worked better? I have a couple of friends who have received the Boppy brand pillow at their showers, but haven't read any reviews on it.

Muffin28
06-01-2001, 08:01 AM
I couldn't live without my boppy. When I registered for it, I had no idea how much use I would actually get out of it. It has been a Godsend. I use it when feeding my daughter as well as a prop to assist her in sitting up more comfortably. I had a c-section and this helped keep the weight off of my stomach when nursing. She is now 6 months old and I am still using it daily. I give it an "A"!

Geebee
06-03-2001, 08:27 PM
I don't know what the NoJo looks like, but I had the Boppy and I didn't really like it. It seemed like you had to balance the baby on top (and I had a small baby at 6 lbs), and it was not very useful for the "football" position of nursing.

I have a friend who bought this huge v-shaped nursing pillow. She said that it was great. I think that she bought it from a lactation consultant, but I'm not sure.

I hope that helps!

cabote
06-05-2001, 11:50 AM
My mom purchases the "My Brest Friend" for me and it is WONDERFUL! It was mentioned in the Baby Bargains book and I was able to register for it at the local Babies-r-Us. She bought it on-line. It is great and I think better than the Boppy because it goes all the way around you. I can walk around, fix lunch, and live my life while breastfeeding! You couldn't do this with the Boppy because there is nothing to keep the pillow attached to you. You have to keep one hand on the baby because there is not a wedge to keep them on the pillow. It really helps me because I have a 3 week old who does not want to be put down. I eat meals while she lays on the pillow and she has good support. I don't know about the NoJo pillow.

deanandlesli
06-05-2001, 09:20 PM
Thanks so much for your recommendation. I have heard other good things about My Brest Friend, despite the corny name and you are right, the book does recommend it. I have seen it for sale at Babies R Us and at Baby Depot, both for $39.99, and then I saw it at Wal-Mart today for only $21.99 in a slightly different box, sponsored by Lansinoh, the breastfeeding product suppliers. I could hardly believe such a difference, but went ahead and bought it at Wal-Mart and then took my NoJo back to BRU to exchange it for some other things.

amylou
06-19-2001, 08:32 AM
Based on the Field's recommendation, I bought the "My Breast Friend" pillow and absolutely LOVE it! The name is ridiculous, but the product has proven to be one of my favorite purchases. I plan to nurse my four month old for a full year, and can't imagine what I'd do without this pillow.

newmom
06-19-2001, 02:27 PM
I have both the boppy and My Brest Friend. In the end, I preferred the boppy because it turned out not to be such a great idea to have the baby nursing and sleeping on the shelf of My Brest Friend. It seems great in the early days, but the baby needs to learn how to put himself to sleep without nursing. Also, I happen to be very long waisted, and I almost always ended up stuffing extra pillows under the boppy or the other one in order to bring the baby and nursing pillow to the right height.
I did not like My Brest Friend b/c the velcro tab that kept it on you is loud and usually wakes the baby up if sleeping and I preferred to be able to lean back against the chair or couch, which was impossible with the Brest Friend pillow wrapped around you.
At the moment, with a three month old, I use neither but imagine the boppy will be out again soon for the baby to use when sitting up. I did also use it a bit to prop him up during tummy time. I'd go with the boppy.

weeksjl
06-23-2001, 09:21 AM
Howdy--

Don't be sucked in (pardon the pun) to thinking you need to buy a nursing pillow. I was given a Boppy, but I wound up returning it instead because I found several plain old ordinary bed pillows to work just fine. (And I was able to use the $20.00 for something else.)

Good luck!

thomcatbob
06-29-2001, 04:43 PM
My son and I both loved our boppy. We used it for 8 mos. I tried regular bed pillows at first and got tired of propping them all the time.

cfhindman
06-30-2001, 11:41 AM
Just want to add that I've seen on a few websites that Bobby pillows now have removable washable covers. My friend said that would of been nice as hers got yucky.