PDA

View Full Version : Breast Milk Storage Bags

Allison
07-09-2001, 01:12 PM
I have a Medela Pump-in-Style and Avent bottles and am trying to figure out the best bags to use for breast milk. The Avent bags have leaked a few times, and those darn clips to close them are such a pain. I've also just bought the Gerber Seal-n-go bags which seem like a better option because of the ziplock-like seal. But the directions say not to use the bags in a bottle warmer, which is how they heat the milk at our baby's day care.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which bags and the best way to use them? Can you pump directly into the bag with a Pump-In-Style? And are the bags compatable with Avent bottles?

Thanks!!!

cabote
07-09-2001, 11:14 PM
I have a Medela pump and Avent bottles as well. When I had leak problems I read on this forum that the problem is with the bottles. You have to be careful not to tighten the bottle lid too much. I tried this and it stopped the leaking. I have looked at Medela bags and they are outrageously expensive (I think). I am going to stick with the Avent bags (may try Gerber now that you mention it). I use a twist tie (garbage bag tie) to close mine and it has worked fine for freezing. Thanks for the info on the Avent clips. I was about to buy them!

elaine
07-11-2001, 05:55 PM
What's the deal with the Avent clips, anyway? They aren't the full width of the bag, so you have to fold it, and it's hard to make sure the corners end up on the right side of the clip, which is where my leaking problems came from. I certainly can't fill them more than halfway without leakage because of this.

Twist ties, huh? Maybe I'll try that.

Steph
07-19-2001, 07:34 PM
I've been using the Gerber bags and really like them, (so far only one has leaked). Are your freezing your milk in the Avent bags? If so, a lactation consultant recommended freezing milk in toilet paper rolls, which might have less stress on the bag when fitting it in the bottle.

vicki3306
08-16-2001, 04:32 AM
My dd is now four months an I've been pumping and freezing milk for the past three months. The best plastic storage bags for me are "Mother's Milk Storage Bags". They come 25 to a pack, made in Canada, and have the metal twisties included in them. I pump straight into them, fold over and freeze. I never bothered trying to freeze with the Avent disposables cos I heard they would split apart since they weren't really made for freezing (?)--and I also don't like having to keep track of clips.

I just defrost and if the bag contains 6 ounces, I pour part of it into an Avent bottle (the metal part forms a nice spout)to feed. I sometimes also just use it straight into an Avent disposable bottle (removing the metal parts which slide off) if the bag has 3 ounces.

The best part about these bags is that after folding over the metal closures, the bags can freeze flat and I can store them without taking up much space. They look very orderly and uniform too--and I like that.

I bought my first two packs retail at $12 for one bag of 25, but found it online for just $6.50. Of course I went wild and bought about ten packs, and even got a further discount on them. I find them much better than the CSF bags of Medela. I use them with my Medela Pump in Style.

BethyM99
09-05-2001, 07:53 AM
Here's my method for freezing breast milk for later ...

Pump into the little bottles and then freeze the milk in an ice cube tray. Each cube is around 1/2 ounce depending on the tray. You can then pop them out and put them in a ziploc freezer bag with the date and amount. I find it's great to be able to defrost just what you need and not waste a bunch, plus it was easier than figuring out the little bags and ziploc is less expensive. The Avent bottles wide neck is perfect since the cubes fit right in the bottle, it only takes a couple extra minutes to warm than cold milk.

You can use any ice cube tray, place saran wrap over it in freezer OR Tupperware sells an ice cube tray that has a cover. I hated messing with the saran wrap and got a couple of these trays and it works great. I'm pumping when I go back to work but wanted to have milk ahead for the baby "just in case".

Good luck to you all!!

dmwk
09-24-2001, 04:30 PM
I used Playtex bags (preferred the Ultraseal with the curved bottom) very successfully for over a year. They worked beautifully both with Avent bottles and Playtex nursers. They were definitely the heaviest bags I found -- not once did they burst in the freezer, they reheated very successfully both in warm water and a bottle warmer, and I found them very easy to attach to my Pump in Style with rubber bands (I made something like a toggle closure by taping a short fold of paper inside one end of the rubber band, looping the whole thing around the top of the bag once it was over the base of the pump horn, and pulling the paper "toggle" through the other end of the rubber band...sounds complicated, but it's not! And I found it much more secure than twist ties.) I closed them either with Avent clips or more rubber bands and marked the date & number of ounces right on the bag.

ksummy
09-30-2001, 09:05 PM
I have been storing breastmilk for almost 7 months. I hated the Medela bags and the playtex bags too. I did not like messing with the twist ties and the plastic seemed very thin. I love the Gerber Seal N' Go. It has a ziploc closure. I freeze them lying flat and it takes little time to thaw in warm water. I use Parent's Choice disposable bottles, and have never had any bursts or leaks!!

tilly2321
11-19-2001, 06:31 PM
I need some major help. I am planning on breastfeeding and pumping about 20% of the time. I just want to know that if I am exhausted, then DH can take one of the night feedings. What is a good milk storage bag that you can freeze, use with Avent bottles, and defrost in a bottle warmer? Can you pump from a Medela Pump In Style or Avent Isis into any of the bags that meet my above recommendations? Thanks!

julie1218
12-06-2001, 07:36 PM
these mother's milk storage bags sound great. do you know if they can be used with a bottle warmer? i want to pump into them with my pump in style, freeze them, warm them in a bottle warmer, and use them as the liner for my avent disposable system. do you think that they will work for that?