PDA

View Full Version : What are the best feeding spoons, dishes, cups?

Jackie
07-17-2001, 11:19 AM
My baby is almost ready to begin eating solids and I would like to know what are the best feeding supplies. Also, how do you heat up the baby food and test it?

faithaltemose
07-20-2001, 07:30 PM
My baby is almost a year old and loves to eat. I like the Playtex infant spoons to feed him. They work the best (in my opinion of course) when babies are just beginning to learn to eat from a spoon. After they have no problem with taking baby food from a spoon the rubber tipped spoons work fine. The playtex spoons are great for when they try to feed themselves. The whole spoon is plastic and the ends are rounded. This makes poking themself in the eye with the spoon handle less painless. In terms of bowls, I got A LOT of those cute little baby feeding bowls. Some are not microwavable, some are not dishwasher safe. This can be a pain. I heat my baby's food in the micro. Because many people warn of "hot spots", I find if I only heat it for a few seconds and stir it thoroughly and test it with my finger it's not a problem. Instead of using those cute little baby bowls I use the small rubbermaid bowls with lids that I already own. Hope this helps.

faithaltemose
07-20-2001, 07:30 PM
LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-01 AT 06:36PM (Mountain)[p]My baby is almost a year old and loves to eat. I like the Playtex infant spoons to feed him. They work the best (in my opinion of course) when babies are just beginning to learn to eat from a spoon. After they have no problem with taking baby food from a spoon the rubber tipped spoons work fine. The playtex spoons are great for when they try to feed themselves. The whole spoon is plastic and the ends are rounded. This makes poking themself in the eye with the spoon handle less painless. In terms of bowls, I got A LOT of those cute little baby feeding bowls. Some are not microwavable, some are not dishwasher safe. This can be a pain. I heat my baby's food in the micro. Because many people warn of "hot spots", I find if I only heat it for a few seconds and stir it thoroughly and test it with my finger it's not a problem. Instead of using those cute little baby bowls I use the small rubbermaid bowls with lids that I already own. Hope this helps.

kzallison
08-11-2001, 03:46 PM
I used feeding spoons that had a temperature sensitive rubber coating over the bowl (it changed color when food was too hot). I don't remember the brand, but they seemed to be widely available at groceries, discount stores, etc. They were very convenient for testing the temperature of warmed food. As far as heating is concerned, I used a small skillet on the stove, since we do not own a microwave. My friends with babies were always shocked at this, at which I asked them how they thought parents warmed food before microwaves were invented. For feeding dishes, we use a cute plastic set we received as a gift, but we also have quite a few Playtex sippy cups. They work great, and you can buy replacements for the rubber gaskets that prevent leaking, since they get kind of nasty after awhile. Hope my input helps...Karen

sarsah
08-22-2001, 10:02 PM
I liked the First Years infant spoons the best and didn't like the Gerber ones at all. Food seemed to stay on the First Years ones better. Also, buy the colored spoons as you won't see the stains like you will on the white ones.

As far as baby food goes, I always fed my son with food straight out of the jar at room temp. with no problem. It made it so much easier when we went out -- I didn't have to worry about finding a place to heat up the food.

Now that my son is older (15 months), he likes his food heated a little since we've been feeding him what we eat and it's usually heated.

Sarah.....