PDA

View Full Version : The Best Pump for me!!!

babytoluv
07-18-2001, 07:19 AM
I need some advice on the best pump that I can get for someone who plans to work from home but would like for my husband to feed the baby. He would very much like to feed the baby and I don't want to deny him that pleasure because I'm breastfeeding. Also, if I should have to go out and leave the baby with him, he needs to have a way to feed the baby while I am gone. That brings me to buying a pump. I don't want to waste my money or buy a pump that does not serve my purpose. Money is a big issue but if I could save money in the long run, that would be important to me. I am a DD size and a Lactation Consultant I spoke with said that I could have extra milk stored after the baby is fed and it needs to go somewhere. I am due in 6 weeks and my husband and I plan to go shopping for one this weekend. I heard the Isis pump by Avent is good but I would rather have an electric one. Is the Medela Mini Electric pump worth the money? Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks!

Mabbster
07-18-2001, 04:05 PM
I have the Avent mini-electric pump. I love it! The Avent bottles fit on it so you don't have to mess with bags and can store it in the same bottle you feed with.The Avent pump can be tough to find, but you can find them on the web. I forget the model number, but it's the one that attaches to the top of the Avent bottles.Our daughter never really liked bottles, she really had an extreme breast prejudice. The Avent nipple was the only one our baby would take, and believe me we tried many of them.

Mabbster

Geebee
07-18-2001, 08:40 PM
I used the Medela Mini Electric, and I was in a similar situation. It worked great for me. I just pumped after the first morning feeding (when most women seem to be the fullest) for about 5 minutes on each side, and I managed to create a nice supply in the freezer. I stored the milk in the few Medela bottles that came with it and some little bottles from the hospital (freebies from the formula companies). I also borrowed some milk storage bottles from a friend.

The only manual pump that I tried was the Medela one, and I don't think that I could have used it to get a few ounces. It was time consuming and tiring (hand cramps).

If you are worried about money and you are using the Avent bottles, I found that storing milk in Avent bottles was an expensive solution (after doing a little research). It was no trouble to pour the milk from the storage bottles into the Avent bottles and then feed the baby.

I hope that helps.

alandbaby
07-21-2001, 11:23 PM
If pumping only occasionally - avent isis may be the best choice.

sarsah
08-22-2001, 10:16 PM
I had both the Ameda Purely Yours double electric & the Avent Isis and liked them both. I bought the Purely Yours brand new from a dealer on eBay for a lot less than I could find it anywhere else and was very, very happy with it. The Isis was nice when we traveled as it was light weight and I could use it easily in the car.

Sarah.....