PDA

View Full Version : How long do you use nursing nipples for?

Jenfed
07-23-2001, 12:47 PM
I am planning on nursing, but want to have some bottles on hand just in case there are any problems. I was curious about the different types of nipples. How long do you use the newborn ones for?

Thanks.
Jennifer

Geebee
07-23-2001, 01:21 PM
If you want to alternate between breast and bottle, the newborn nipples are best, no matter what the age of your baby. The theory is that the baby will prefer a faster flow nipple to the breast. The flow of the newborn nipple is closer to the flow of the breast.

If you are only bottle feeding, you can probably go by the package recommendations. For example, if I remember correctly, I think Avent recommends size 1 (newborn nipples) for newborns, 1+ months of age for the size 2 nipple, 3+ months of age for the size 3, and 6+ months of age for the size 4.

And you can skip sizes. I weaned my daughter off the breast at 5 months, so I went from the size 1 (newborn) nipple to the size 3 nipple. I never used the size 2 nipples. And then I bought the size 4 when the size 3 wore out (the nipples lasted 3 or 4 months, so she was 8 or 9 months when I bought the size 4 nipples).

I hope that helps!

Jenfed
07-23-2001, 01:33 PM
Thanks for your reply....it was very helpful. I do plan on nursing for a while, but would like my husband to be able to give an occasional bottle. I will stick to the newborn nipples then.

Thanks again.

sarsah
08-22-2001, 10:14 PM
I used the Avent newborn size nipples for my son for 11 months. I bought some of the other ones (feeding nipples or 3-hole nipples) and he just made a mess -- milk dripping down his chin, etc., so I always went back to the newborn ones. He went to a sippy cup at 11 months with no problem.

Sarah.....