PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a bottle warmer?

gingerbrown
08-20-2001, 11:51 AM
Just curious as to how many people actually find a bottle warmer useful ... I received one as a baby shower gift, but since I am planning to breastfeed (although I will pump give a bottle some, too), I'm wondering if I should keep it or exchange it for something more useful ... Any thoughts/suggestions would be welcome.

Ginger Brown
edd 10/6/01

rebwal
08-21-2001, 02:49 PM
In my opinion, yes. I also got one as a shower gift, and heeded my sister's advice that I would never use it because I was BFing. I warmed dd's bottles in hot water for the duration that I BFed, but now that I'm formula feeding, I need a way to warm up her bottles. I would NEVER use a microwave because of the uneven heating, so I had to go out and purchase a bottle warmer. I bought The First Years brand at BRU ($17) and love it. It took a little getting used to, to figure out how much water to put in for the different amounts of formula, but I would be lost without it. Happy pregnancy and wishes of a fast, easy labor to you!

Gina C
08-21-2001, 09:45 PM
Breastfeeding advice? Keep doing it! In the middle of the night your breastmilk is the perfect temperature (no warmer needed). I am successfully breastfeeding my 2nd baby and have never needed a bottle warmer. I nursed baby #1 for 18 months and baby #2 is nursing nicely at 10 months old now.

Maybe it's like caller-ID. If you've got it, you are likely to use it and get used to it. Before caller-ID we still had phones that worked just fine!

Gina C
08-21-2001, 09:46 PM
Breastfeeding advice? Keep doing it! In the middle of the night your breastmilk is the perfect temperature (no warmer needed). I am successfully breastfeeding my 2nd baby and have never needed a bottle warmer. I nursed baby #1 for 18 months and baby #2 is nursing nicely at 10 months old now.

Maybe it's like caller-ID. If you've got it, you are likely to use it and get used to it. Before caller-ID we still had phones that worked just fine!

sarsah
08-22-2001, 09:58 PM
Definately exchange it for something more useful!!!
I breastfed exclusively (mostly pumping and feeding in a bottle). The bottle warmer was not worth it at all -- at least I got a good deal on it. It was soooooo slow -- I think running the bottle under hot tap water was faster <lol>. I used it at first, but then started using the microwave -- 30 seconds/bottle and then shaking it. Never once had a problem and it was so much faster, which is important when you have a hungry screaming infant.

Sarah......