PDA

View Full Version : Poll - what is your favorite maternity and nursing bra?

starfish1995
10-07-2001, 07:32 AM
Also, please mention if it is underwire or not. Thanks!

Geebee
10-08-2001, 02:28 PM
I might be in the minority, but I liked the Playtex non-underwire. I found them at a Playtex outlet, but I also saw them at Target. They are extremely inexpensive.

jan
10-10-2001, 12:38 PM
bravado bras (from breakoutbras.com, much cheaper), also black bra from motherwear (non-underwire) and centersnap lace (underwire) are all great! (kind of expensive, though)

starfish1995
10-11-2001, 03:28 PM
How suuportive are the Bravado bras? I have one that I bought 3 years ago, and it is not too supportive. Have they changed the design any?

mellivesay
10-14-2001, 05:06 PM
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Bravado Bras. I recommended them to my girl friend and she went back to buy more right away! I have not had any trouble with support. I am normally (before pregnancy) a 34B. In fact, I sound that they keep me "snug," close, and comfortable. I tried a few other brands --Olga and Motherhood -- and they did not give me the support I wanted.

Jill_P
10-16-2001, 12:06 PM
Folks,

Negative stuff first:

After having a somewhat frustrating experience with decentexposures.com (trying to get the right fit with their bras--3 of them), I finally gave up and sent the last one back and am awaiting a refund. I don't like their wide shoulder straps, nor do I like their middle section gathered together with a looper. You can see the gathers through one's clothes.

On the positive side:

I just received my 1st bravadodesigns.com bra and LOVE it! The elastic on the bottom of the bra is the most comfortable I've found. It doesn't pinch or poke me like my other bras. Important when an expectant mom is carrying high like I am. The shoulder straps are narrower than those of Decent Exposures and adjustable, both of which I like.

The nursing string is not something I will use (I can't nurse for medical reasons), but I could see where a breastfeeding mom would really like it. (I'll probably cut mine off.)

Pretty good support. Probably not as good as an underwire, but who wants an underwire when one is pregnant, anyway???

KathyO
10-16-2001, 09:06 PM
I'd also like to put in a vote for the Bravado line. The lady in the conventional underwear store sniffily insinuated that if I bought one of THOSE, and not her underwired, synthetic, cantilevered white contraptions, that my boobs would be around my ankles in no time.

I'm very glad I ignored her. Bravado is so comfortable, so easy to use one-handed, and the support is just fine. The cheerful prints keep me feeling that my days of interesting underwear did not end with motherhood!

Kathy

jubywuby
10-22-2001, 10:51 AM
For those of us with smaller chests:

Maternity - I've scrapped most of my maternity bras from pregnancy #1, and instead am wearing my Target-brand sleep bras every day. They DO NOT have good coverage on the front, so I have to tuck some nursing pads in them to prevent that headlights-on look, but they are very comfortable. Also great to sleep in.

Nursing - Tried them all, and just can't beat Bravado. I wore them during my last couple of pregnancy months last time, and throughout my nursing days last time, and plan to again. The simple snap closure is so much easier to open than the bras with hooks and eyes.

MaryAgnes
10-28-2001, 02:39 PM
I know I posted this on elsewhere...
I bought 2 medium basic Bravado bra's at around 3 months, since they were so highly rated. I was a 34B before, and didn't think support would be a problem. The elastic band kept getting tighter under my chest, and I couldn't wait to get home to rip the thing off. Midway through my 5th month, I started noticing nasty looking stretch marks on the underside of my breasts, and knew I had to change.

After trying and buying many, I like the Platex softcup nursing style, but I'm in a 40B. I am wearing a 40C now because it is so hard to find anything smaller than C when you get past 40, and my cups are not full. I am also sleeping in my bras now, I don't know if this will help the stretch marks, but it has become more comfortable to do so.

I am going back to the platex outlet this afternoon to try some more on. Wish me luck

MaryAgnes
...who has the largest collection of bras that don't fit!

wen
12-06-2001, 04:41 PM
I just got my first nursing bra and it is a bravado bra - very, very comfortable! I tried on a lot of bras and this one beats them all.

I'm used to having an underwire and thought I'd hate not having one but with this bra, I don't miss it.

As for support - I wouldn't want to go for a run with it, but when I'm walking around day-to-day I feel like I get enough support (this is with the D/E cup size).

breakoutbras.com seemed to have the best price for the bras - right now they're offering free shipping.

BJMoe
12-20-2001, 04:08 PM
Wow! Mary Agnes, I read your post and thought maybe I had posted about this before and forgot about it! (Baby brain, you know, LOL!)
Anyway, I also was a 34B before, and bought two Bravados in the small+ size, which lasted me until about my 4-5th month. The elastic started getting tighter, so I order two Medium sized. I've been wearing those for about a month and a half - 2 months (I'm 33 weeks now) and now THOSE bands are really cutting into me and I'm also noticing stretch marks. So I'm on the hunt for something with more support. I haven't gained THAT much weight, it just appears to all have been around my rib cage, bustline. I'll definitely have to check out the Playtex ones. I got an e-mail saying motherwear is having a sale on some nursing bras until 12/31, but don't want to buy another without trying it on.

BJMoe
12-20-2001, 04:23 PM
Just wanted to add that I never bought "just maternity" bras or larger bras that weren't nursing ones. Since I knew I was going to try to breastfeed, when I started needing a larger bra, I figured I may as well just get nursing ones I could wear for a long time, and not having to worry about getting them later.

jilldave
01-03-2002, 09:35 PM
I never bothered with Maternity bras, I just bought larger sized underwires on sale at Kohl's. I have used the Bravado nursing bras for over 1 yr and have loved them. They are comfortable and convenient. One odd fact is that I ordered 3 bras of the same size in 3 colors and the white bra is much smaller than the other 2. I have a friend who had the same experience with the white bras.

kgdolan
02-14-2002, 02:39 PM
I bought a bunch of tank style bras by maidenform while I was pregnant to sleep in and have continued to wear them for the past month that I've been nursing. I just pull the side up that I'm nursing on and then pull it back down. They have provided adequate coverage for my 36D breasts and are really comfortable. They were also really cheap at Rich's (like a Macy's). I don't think I would exercise in these, but they've worked well for now. They are also stretchy and have provided some protection against leakage. They're kind of like a very thin jog-bra.

tobymc
02-14-2002, 05:10 PM
I used the Medela bras, as well as Bravado bras. I'm kind of surprised no one else here mentioned them. I liked the Medela bras, and they had more "shape" to them than my Bravado. Since I was using a Medela PIS, I LOVED the hooks on the bra so that I could do hands free pumping. I later added loops to my own bras so that I could continue that.

I've got a large bust, and I've been nursing for almost 4 years now. I finally found a company called Bravo bras (not related to Bravado) which sells a line of VERY supportive bras that happen to open from the top like a nursing bra. I've never gotten to the point that I can open them one handed, but they really work and are very supportive and comfortable, without wires. They can be reached at 612-820-8110 in Minneapolis. They might be able to tell you where else to get them.

I've also been investingating Lady Grace bras. http://www.ladygrace.com/. They've got some good looking, very supportive nursing bras, especially the Goddess line. But I haven't tried them yet.

And this company, Between bras, http://www.btweenbras.com/, is working on a nursing bra. I've heard that they make terrific products for those of us who need a LOT of support.

Toby

GreenIZ1971
02-14-2002, 06:15 PM
Toby, thanks for the review on the Medela. I was looking at www.birthandbaby.com and saw them and thought they looked like me. I HATE underwires and like the softer feel.

I've been wearing Victoria's Secret sleeping bras all through my pg so far... but am getting close to needing a real bra. I'm around a 36 B-C (in the VS bras it doesn't matter).

Thanks,

trumansmom
02-15-2002, 01:02 PM
I just wanted to add my two cents worth about Medela bras. When I first got mine I loved it. In fact, I may have even recommended it on one of the boards here. But, it really hasn't held up all that well. The cup tends to seperate from the inside part during the day leaving a little strip of skin visible if I'm wearing light colored clothing. Also, I thought I would use the hands free attachment for pumping at work, but if you are very large chested (I'm an H cup) the little elastic bands aren't big enough and you can't. I do like the support and fit, but after 6 weeks, the bra is pretty much worn out. Not a particularly good value in my book. For the same price, I've enjoyed my Bravado bras much, much better.

Babygirl
03-24-2002, 09:58 PM
Loved the playtex non underwire bra, just wish they made it in more and bigger sizes!

I would like to strangle the woman at the Motherhood Maternity store that talked me into buying three of their underwire bras because "they are the most comfortable bra I have ever worn" I wore them once! Sheer MISERY and they have not come out of the drawer since. BTW, MM clothes (dresses and any embroidery on their clothes) fall apart. I was very disappointed and when I shopped at their other stores, Mimi and Pea in the Pod, I spent a lot of money on clothes that once cleaned did not fit well. Very disappointing, on the other hand, the maternity clothes I bought at JC Penney outlet were terrific and I would not hesitate to buy from there again!

IansMom04
03-25-2002, 03:19 PM
I love my Melinda G nursing bra. It is not an underwire.. and is SO comfortable!

nina
04-01-2002, 10:01 PM
What size did you get given you were a 34B before pregnancy? I was as well, but now I'm 8 months pregnant and wearing a 36C. Not sure what size Bravado bra to purchase.

Thanks

Libby_1
04-02-2002, 02:12 PM
I had no previous experience with nursing bras so I went with recommendations from friends and bought the Bravado bra. I must say that it is extremely comfortable. One question I have is how many nursing bras does one need? I bought 2 Bravado bras and the sales lady told me that I needed one for day and one for night. I am due April 27th and I am wondering if I will regret not having more on hand when the baby comes.
Liz

GreenIZ1971
04-02-2002, 02:46 PM
Just wanted to update the world on my latest purchases. I got an Inkibabe (like a Bravado) from www.birthandbaby.com and I love it. As my ribcage expands, it's very accomodating. It is definitely holding up, since I wear it almost every day.

I tried the Medela and by the time it got here my ribcage made it too small, plus it was a LOT of bra. Not my style once I tried it on.... so I sent it back and got a Melinda G with adjustable cups. I think it will fit great once the baby gets here... cups are comfortable, etc. but my ribcage just keeps getting bigger... so the Inkibabe is the best nursing bra for me while pg.

I also found a Bravado from a Canadian company, www.kidalog.com, and am waiting on it... the price was great and since the chest band is forgiving maybe it will make it through pg.

merilevy
04-20-2002, 12:18 AM
I run a maternity and baby store and fit a lot of women with nursing bras. These are the faves:

Bravado - most women love them, some more shape-conscious moms don't like the shape they get with Bravado, and some don't like the way the band tends to roll up over time.

Melinda G - softcup bra, made by a great company. These are great for slimmer moms, very pretty and comfortable. For women who don't want "that much bra."

Leading Lady #449 (softcup) a very comfortable and inexpensive bra. Very stretchy, soft cups. These are one of our best-selling bras.

The Medela seamless bras give you a nice shape, but I agree that they are "a lot of bra" for some women and don't hold up the best over time. They might be nice for the occasional time when you want a nice shape under your clothes (especially the underwire).

Nobody mentioned these, but I love my Olga stretch-nylon underwire nursing bras. They look great under clothes, and mine have held up well over time. They are a terrible company to work with though, so I don't carry them at my store! :(

We carry all these bras at our online store at store.yahoo.com/nurturecenter. If you all are looking for a nursing bra that you're having trouble finding, let us know and I'll see if we can get it for you!

Meri from the Nurture Center

dubbogod
04-23-2002, 12:02 PM
I love the Bravado nursing bras (not underwire) and I also love the Leading Lady underwire nursing bra, style 438, from Mervyn's. I am large breasted, so finding comfortable nursing bras can be hard.

dubbogod
04-23-2002, 12:04 PM
Make sure to try them on first, if you can, or at least go one size up from what you think you should buy. I found that the sizing charts seemed to underestimate the size needed.

Shirale
05-01-2002, 12:56 PM
I am not sure if anyoneb mentioned my absolute favorite- the Olga stretch underwire nursing bras. They are so comfortable and supportive, I am a 34 E so support is very important. They also hold up very well through repeated washings...I tried Motherhood, but those were awful once washed, and the Olga ones have only gotten better- I threw out all my others and bought more of these. They feel like a regular bra, and it is really eay to open and close one handed! I bought mine at Pea in the Pod.

luvbeinmama
05-10-2002, 05:49 PM
Maternity - I didn't buy any maternity bras. The first time I was PG, I went from C cup to D and bought 2 regular Wacoal brand bras (absolutely LOVE THEM!!!). Then went back down after miscarrying. 2nd PG used the Wacoal bras during the whole pregnancy, and loved them. And, although by the end I was almost busting out of them, they held me up wonderfully. Now I'm PG again, and using them again.

Nursing - I tried on many, many bras at Motherhood local store, and HATED THEM ALL. I actually bought one that was livable (barely). So I tried the dept stores and found the Playtex nursing bras. They are soooo comfortable, and really easy to open one-handed! Instead of the normal hook/eye catch (which really is impossible to use one-handed!!) they have a plastic hook/eye catch where the eye just slips easily over the hook and then snaps flat into place. I bought 2 last time and will buy more for this time, as I did have to use the barely livable bra often enough to warrant another couple good bras.

I haven't tried the Bravado bras.

My theory about underwires... If you are small chested you will hate them. I didn't like underwires until I hit a size C cup. Now I love them, but I haven't gone below just larger than C cup (but not quite D... I hate that!) since my first pregnancy. I think part of what I like about underwires is that they don't let your breasts lay against your chest underneath. Which is probably why smaller breasted women don't need them. They also don't seem to be comfortable for smaller chested women. I've tried going without underwires a couple times since switching, but went right back to underwire bras.

LailaCa
06-03-2002, 11:19 PM
Is there anywhere to buy the Bravado without going online? I would like to look at one first before the purchase.

trumansmom
06-04-2002, 09:42 AM
Call around to some specialty maternity shops. As far as I know, most chains don't carry them.

They really are wonderful!