PDA

View Full Version : Breastfeeding book recommendations?

HOBSON725
10-07-2001, 06:18 PM
My baby is due in December and I plan on breastfeeding. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book on breastfeeding. I am signed up for a breastfeeding class at my hospital. Do you think the class will provide enough info or do you think I also need to do some reading on my own? Thanks :)

ACinnamonGirl
10-07-2001, 09:32 PM
Hi~
Try "The Nursing Mother's Companion." I received an excerpted copy covering the first 2 months from the Breastfeeding Center at the hospital where my dd was born (she is 7 mos. now). One piece of advice regarding breastfeeding ~ keep in mind that although it is "natural" it is not necessarily going to come easy for you or your baby. My DD had difficulties latching on correctly at first, and lost 1 lb. in the first couple of days after birth. We were fortunate to have a wonderful resource at our hospital - the Breastfeeding Center - where we worked with a terriffic lactation consultant. It took several weeks before my daughter & I got the hang of things, but in the end it was all worth it. She is one happy baby! The best of luck to you!
Jules

Geebee
10-08-2001, 09:13 AM
I just wanted to add something...with breastfeeding, there is such a thing as too much info. And too much info can cause a bit of anxiety, which doesn't help you or the baby. I have many friends that agree with this. It is hard to know what to do until you have that baby in front of you. The info that was given in the labor class that I took was good for technical info (how the baby sucks, supply and demand, etc.), but it didn't help me figure out how to breast feed. Use the lactation consultants in the hospital after you have the baby. I found that this was most helpful because I had the baby in front of me.

I borrowed a book from a friend after I had the baby, and I found that it was good for assessing problems. I didn't feel any need to have a book before I had my daughter.

I found that the biggest reason for success in breastfeeding is determination. It is difficult at times, but you can get through it if you are determined. And it becomes so much easier over time!

Good luck!

Sadie S
10-12-2001, 04:54 PM
I love The Breastfeeding Book by William and Martha Sears. Actually all of the Sears books are wonderful, by the way.

srlarsen
10-14-2001, 08:18 PM
Yes, I think reading a book before hand would be excellent. I wasn't really comfortable with the idea of nursing until I read up on the subject. Once I was armed with enough information, I felt confident that I would be successful at breastfeeding. Unfortunately, I've been a bit TOO successful as my son refuses to take a bottle now! Ha. The book I read was Janet Tamaro's "So That's What They're For!" It was easy to read and funny. Good luck!