PDA

View Full Version : Best Breastpump for Part-time Student???

Kiera
12-16-2001, 03:59 AM
Hello,
I am nursing and would like to buy a breastpump that allows me to as comfortably as possible, make 2 (4-6oz) bottles per day. I go to school a few days a week for a few hours per day. The rest of the days, I would like to pump bottles for relief feedings or if I want to go shopping or visit my hubby's family. I do not feel comfortable breastfeeding in stores (especially wal-mart, target, or grocery stores) and the relief feedings will come in handy. A friend suggested the Avent Isis manuel pump (I think this is the name.) But I was wondering if this pump will work effiecently for my pumping needs? Does anyone think this pump will work good for my purposes? Or does anyone suggest a different pump that would work better?
Thanks for any input! :o)
Kiera

momathome
12-16-2001, 12:16 PM
I have the avent pump and while it is decent, I wouldn't recommend it for more than an occasional bottle. For the kind of pumping you're talking about doing, I would think something like a Medela single battery-operated pump would be a better bet. It retails for about $70. Good luck!
-Lauren

vsmommy123
12-19-2001, 01:29 PM
I recommend the Medela pump the other person suggested because it is battery or adapter powered or can be used manually, it comes w/ the necessary parts. Also if you get the Medela nursing bras they have these tiny elastic things that you can get a "hands free" kit which has hooks and can hang on to the breast cup while you study! You can go to their website to see all of the products they offer.:)

sugarsnappea
01-05-2002, 03:08 PM
Hi,
I had the same dilemma about 6 months ago. My first suggestion is the Medela Mini Electric- I got mine on Ebay new for $55. I am in school for 3-4 days a week. The mini electric works with an adapter or batteries which makes it very handy and portable. It is pretty quick for a small pump- 10-15 minutes for a bottle. The only drawback i have found is that it is loud. I bought this pump for emergency school use.
I also own a Bailey nurture breast pump and I love it. This pump works exceptionally well and is very quick. You can pump both sides at once. This is available for about $90 and free shipping at knoxbreastfeeding.com. The drawback is that it isn't very portable. I don't have any experience with the Avent Isis, but have heard good things. I hope this helps!

SylviaC
01-09-2002, 04:06 PM
While I do agree with the previous posts that the Medela Pump In Stype (PIS) is great, I think the answer to your question depends on how much time you have on your hands and when you think you will be able to pump. I bought the PIS at first because I was going back to work and needed to pump pretty frequently. Now that my son is here, I am working from home quite a bit so have more time to pump, although I still do it about evrey 3 hours. So, I got the Avent ISIS, which is a manual pump, but I can use it just about anywhere and since I only do one side at a time it leaves me a hand to type with (haha). Honestly, both work just fine. I get just as much milk pumping from either. With the Medela it takes me about 10 minutes to pump, and with the ISIS it takes about 20. Set up and cleanup take abou the same amount of time with either.
So, the pros/cons of each are:
Medela - faster pump since you can do both breasts at once, but expensive and is a bit heavy/cumbersome
Isis - takes more time but is WAY cheaper plus you can do it anywhere - don't have to worry about finding a plug

If you're unsure, get an ISIS and try it out first - if you find it's taking too long then you can invest in a Medela. I hope that helps
Sylvia