PDA

View Full Version : Breast pumps

Cindder
01-29-2002, 09:03 AM
I am planning on breastfeeding our first born, and was thinking of buying the Medela breast pump. Does anyone have an opinion on which model to get; the basic Pump In Style or the "Travelor" Pump In Style...
Thanks!

TaraNY
01-29-2002, 04:50 PM
Honestly, I think it's just a matter of style. They're the same pumps in different carrying bags.

I have the basic PIS and I love it. I ordered mine from www.kidalog.com (this site is mentioned in the Baby Bargains book) and paid ~$170 since it came from Canada. The service was great - fast and they even included lots of articles on pumping and breastmilk storage.

Cindder
01-29-2002, 09:16 PM
Thank you for your help. I went to that website. Did you order the seperate battery pack?

TaraNY
01-30-2002, 03:24 PM
No, I didn't get the battery pack since I can't really forsee the need to pump anywhere that I don't have access to a plug. And the pump does come with a manual attachment so that you can pump without power if you need to.

(Also, I bought an Avent Isis pump that I use fairly frequently...it works great, too, but isn't as easy to use as the PIS, of course.)

egoldber
01-31-2002, 04:56 PM
We bought the car adapter for the PIS and it has been a godsend. Have used it to pump on long car trips. Have also used it when we were somewhere (like a sporting event) where no plug was handy. I would go to the car and pump.

HTH,

Momtotwo
02-04-2002, 04:54 PM
I am currently using the PIS for the second time. It lasted through significant use for 1 year with my first child and has already been used for 10 months with my second. I can't say enough good things about it. When I bought it back in 98, it came with a car adapter, which we have used and is very helpful. (Interesting, when you pump using the car adapter, the pump cycles much more quickly and the pumping takes a significantly shorter time??!!) On a related note --if you will be storing/freezing milk -- use the relatively new Gerber zip-top breastmilk storage bags instead of the Medela. The Medela have to be tied with a separate twist tie and are less convenient

Boogiemama
04-04-2002, 11:15 PM
Does anyone know how Pump In Style compares with Ameda Purely Yours as far as how fast you can express both breasts
and also how quiet the two are?

I'm a first time mom trying to decide which to buy.

Also does anyone find that breastfeeding really help you lose weight?

TaraNY
04-04-2002, 11:33 PM
I find the PIS to be very quiet and very fast. I pump in an office that is enclosed by walls but no ceiling (regular-height walls in a large, open space w/16 foot ceilings) and the woman in the next office says she can't tell when I'm pumping. I can usually complete a pumping session in 10 minutes...15 tops.

And yes, I think breastfeeding really helps you lose weight. I weighed 126 at my first OB appointment at 17 days past ovulation, gained 42 pounds during pregnancy, lost 18 after delivery, another 10 by 6 weeks post partum and all of it by 3 months post partum. In fact, DS is 6 months old tomorrow and I weigh 125! All without dieting or even exercising (I've been bad!), just eating a good, healthy diet.

hbangthompson
04-10-2002, 04:59 PM
I'm totally convinced that breastfeeding helps lose weight. I was 2 pounds away from my prepregnancy weight of 120 by my 6 week checkup (I gained 28 pounds). But I'm not as toned as I was before pregnancy, so I think even if you do lose the weight, it's important to exercise and get toned again. Besides, I found that when I do take the time to exercise, even for just 30 minutes, it gives me more energy the rest of the day. I did a post-natal mom&baby yoga tape for a while before I could work out a schedule with my husband to go to the gym. The video totally kicked my butt at the beginning.

As for the breast pump, I have the Pump in Style and I love it! It's so nice to have.