PDA

View Full Version : Motherhood cotton shirts and shrinkage

GreenIZ1971
02-15-2002, 01:40 PM
Am I the only one that has experienced significant shrinkage in the Motherhood cotton shirts (3/4 sleeve). I bought them at the end of Dec, and the sales lady warned me to dry them on low, so I did. But they have stiiiiillll shrunk. Now that I'm getting bigger, I don't think they'll sufficiently cover the panel in my maternity jeans/shorts.

That really ticks me off.

FYI - Target's shirts (same price roughly) are muuuuuccchhhh longer, so if they shrink they'll probably still cover the tummy panel.

katydid2002
02-15-2002, 03:07 PM
I am four months along with my first and have just started buying maternity clothes. I had my sales lady at Motherhood tell me to wash in cold water and hang dry. I did and they are fine. It is a lot of work however. Everyone told me Targer maternity clothes were junk, and I love them! The shirts have stayed pretty much the same dried on medium heat. Also, you can't beat the prices at either store. I browsed MiMi maternity, and once I saw you pay $60 for a white cotton t-shirt there, I haven't returned.

GreenIZ1971
02-15-2002, 03:28 PM
You know, mine didn't shrink in the beginning. I just noticed it in the last few weeks.

I also checked the label - says tumble dry low.

I think they need to revisit their product. I buy Eddie Bauer t-shirts for the same price, wash them a zillion times, and they never shrink.

I wish they made maternity clothes.

I haven't washed the Target t's enough to see if they shrink or not.

Something to try is buying clothes at Lane Bryant. I needed a dressy shirt for Valentines Day to match a pre-preg skirt and I found a gorgeous one at Lane Bryant, 60% off. They have really stylish clothes, and if I didn't already have enough long sleeve stuff I would have tried some of them out on my belly! Some of them are great - really bust-enhancing. Some even belly enhancing. Price is right, too.

jojo2324
02-15-2002, 04:26 PM
I bought some nursing bras at maternity motherhood, and the bra shrank so much! They made a big deal of telling me it was final sale, but I was not told about the tumble dry part...I know I should read tags, but everything in my house goes in the dryer. I agree that they should change their fabric or something because I can wash something from the Gap or Banana and they never ever shrink...and for $30 bucks a bra, it's not like it's a steal or anything. No advice on the shirts. I got one too, but I'm not big enough yet to wear it. Something tells me I won't be shopping at Maternity Motherhood again.

suebee828
02-22-2002, 05:12 AM
I bought what may be the exact same shirts in October, and they did shrink. I really grew a lot in the last month or two, so had to stop wearing them. Gap usually has some type of t-shirt on sale, and I much preferred those.

genevieve
03-03-2002, 10:13 AM
I had the same problem with these shirts. They shrunk about 2 inches and did not cover the panel as I grew larger. I put them in the dryer. The sales person did not give me any advise on washing them. I was much happier with the shirts I purchased from the Gap.

New_Mom
03-04-2002, 01:27 PM
I have the same problem with ALL my cotton shirts from Motherhood, not just the 3/4 sleeve. I noticed it when I had washed one and hung it next to an unwashed one which was 2 inches longer! And can you believe that it shrunk again!! I can't where these shirts with a panel, but luckily I have a pair of pants without one and a couple with side panels.

I have had success with shirts from Target and Kohl's. Neither shrank. One of my biggest problems is finding long pants. The Gap has a few, but none are really my style!

Babygirl
04-12-2002, 04:36 PM
FYI
By law, the clothes you buy must have correct washing and drying instructions. If you follow the directions and the clothes fall apart or shrink excessively, take it back to the store for a refund. Even Motherhood is not above the law when it comes to clothing shrinkage.

Melanie
04-27-2002, 02:44 PM
I found that most of the clothes I bought at Motherhood were not great quality. They ran small, shrank, and some had stitching come undone at first wearing. However, their clothes are less expensive than most maternity stores. My shirts from Target were *much* better, though, but most of their maternity clothes are casual only, so if you need some for work, it's back to Motherhood.

When it comes time, the nursing PJs & playtex nursing bras from Target are great!

Mommy to Little Jonah