PDA

View Full Version : for NYC nursing moms

christic
04-24-2002, 04:46 PM
Does anyone out there have any favorite places to nurse in the city away from home? Any of the department stores have particularly nice bathrooms to nurse and change a baby in? I'd like to be able to spend a day in NY, but would feel better knowing about some comfortable places to feed her before we go...any ideas?

egoldber
04-24-2002, 05:41 PM
When I was in Manhattan for my sister-in-law's wedding, I nursed my baby in the ladies room of the Saks Fifth Avenue. It was very nice, no sofas, but chairs in the powder room area. It wasn't the most comfy place I ever nursed, but it was sparkling clean. No one made me feel I wasn't welcome to nurse in there. I got a lot of smiles from employees, New Yorkers and fellow tourists. :-)

HTH,

KathyO
04-24-2002, 08:28 PM
I don't know New York, but this discovery was too neat not to mention...

I was tromping around in downtown Toronto, also wanting to nurse, and wishing for a quiet, comfortable corner to do it. Walked past a hospital, and on a whim, walked in and asked the information clerk if they had a breastfeeding room. "Certainly," she said. "That one over there." Presto, there was a clean, quiet, cool, pleasant room with comfy chairs and restful lighting. Aaaaahhhh....

I don't know whether hospitals in the States might have anything similar, but if they do, they're great!

Cheers,

KathyO

christic
04-29-2002, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the tips! I suspected Saks would be a good place to try, and the location is convenient so I'm sure I'll be paying them a visit. Discovered that Macy's is NOT mom-friendly...not even a chair in a bathroom.

Don't know if it's the case nationwide, but our local Nordstrom's has the best setup I've seen so far. Besides the lounge area as you first go in one of their restrooms, they have an entirely separate room for feeding and changing babies. It's our favorite spot at the mall!

Shirale
05-01-2002, 12:42 PM
I agree about Macys! (At least the one on 34th st) but- Lord and Taylor (right nearby) is great- they have chairs in the powder room just like Saks. Otherwise I just took my DD into a dressing room and nursed there!

Shirale
06-03-2002, 06:26 PM
After spending most of today trekking around Manhatten, I found that the friendliest (nursingwise!) stores are actually the GAP. Every single GAP I have been in has been wonderful about letting me use a dressing room to nurse in! :-)