PDA

View Full Version : Avent Microwave Express Sterilizer

caroliner
04-30-2002, 04:10 PM
Anyone have this product and is it a necessity?

trumansmom
04-30-2002, 04:40 PM
A necessity? No. But I have one and use it. I keep mine at the office and use it for my breast pump parts and bottles. Since there isn't a dishwasher and I have to wash the parts by hand, it makes me feel a little more confident that the bottle and parts are clean.

Before I went back to work I used it on all of his new plastic toys as well. I usually just put those in the dishwasher now.

Hope that helps.

m2tandk
04-30-2002, 05:33 PM
Never used it and its not a necessity. You could just do the old fashioned boiling method(I did when my 2 were babies), but I have heard so many people say they love the convenience!!

Kelly

rachelfran
04-30-2002, 08:45 PM
I used mine - I got it as a shower gift and was able to resell it on ebay when I was done with it... it is a nice convenience...but I'm not sure it's any easier than having a large pot of water on the stove and boiling the bottles.

ckmom1
05-02-2002, 04:06 PM
I have to agree that it is not a necessity, but very handy especially if you are doing many bottles or have a pump to sterilize, mostly for piece of mind.

suzska
05-02-2002, 10:58 PM
Okay, I had (have) one that I used until my son was around 8 months or so (whenever he started putting anything he could pick up into his mouth, I just started putting the bottles/parts into the dishwasher). Now he's on to sippy cups.

Personally, I thought it WAS necessary. I don't like boiling things on the stove, and of course managed to "burn" myself on the steam (from the pot on the stove) once or twice. I liked the microwave steam sterilizer because I could put the stuff in and forget about it (meaning--go upstairs and get a few hours of sleep). I didn't have to stand and watch the stove. I also took the sterilizer on vacation with us in January because the hotel room had a microwave, but not a dishwasher of course. I was using disposable bottles, but put the nipples in the sterilizer every night--it just made me feel better.

The Avent one takes all brands of bottles. I used Gerber bottles, nipples, and binkies. Just be careful about some plastic toys--they are not all created equal. I melted a few teething toys once because it got too hot inside. There are also some nipples/binkies that say not to put them in a microwave sterilizer.

I know I've said all this before in a similar post a few months back....

Rachels
05-04-2002, 07:55 PM
I just got one of these as a hand-me-down, but with no instructions. How do you use it?

suzska
05-04-2002, 10:22 PM
Here's a link to the online instruction manual:

http://www.aventamerica.com/manuals/micro.htm

Melanie
05-08-2002, 06:09 PM
I have one of these and like it alot. I use it for pacifiers, breast pump accessories and the occasional bottles. Also for new toys (if they don't have any metal on them). Very easy to use and very convenient, but you can obviously live without it.

Mommy to Little Jonah