PDA

View Full Version : Sears maternity clothing

m2tandk
05-06-2002, 10:16 AM
Need opinions on the durability of Sears brand of maternity clothes. I was looking the other day and some things seem well made, but others just don't. They are all made by Take Nine so whats the difference?? Also, how do you like JC Penney? Motherhood? I love the styles on Pea in the Pod, but cannot see spending that kind of money! I want "hip" and "comfy" not just tent shirts and leggings. Any suggestions?

Kelly

MinnieMouse
05-06-2002, 10:25 AM
I got a bunch of stuff from them...tops, shorts, leggings, capri pants and dresses last year when I was preggo. They generally have a 30% off all maternity stuff every month or so...I got a TON of stuff...maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of my wardrobe for only $165!!

They all wore wonderfully. Washed and dried it over and over with no problems. I folded everything up and stashed it away for when we have #2!

Christine

mommymaria
05-06-2002, 11:20 AM
Last summer I bought some Sears maternity T-shirts. They were on sale really cheap, and I thought they would be fine for around the house, etc. In the end, I actually got more wear out of them than some of my more expensive T-shirts from Pea in the Pod and Mimi Maternity. They washed and wore beautifully, with no ironing needed.

If I remember correctly, there does seem to be quite a difference in the quality and sizing of some of their clothing. I guess they subcontract out to different vendors who just put on the Sears Take Nine label.

suzska
05-06-2002, 11:43 AM
I got most of my stuff from Penney's two years ago and was very happy with them. Although I don't like the style of some of their current maternity clothes (but then I don't need them now). I always bought stuff online with one of their 25% off codes. I also bought a bunch of stuff on clearance at Target that has held up pretty well. Some people don't like Motherhood, but I got a "dressy dress" their for $14.99 that I was able to wear THREE times while I was pregnant--to my husband's holiday party at work, to my cousin's New Year's Eve wedding and to my baby shower. I was about 6 months pregnant the first time I wore it, and 8 months the last time. I got many complements on it, and the best part was I only paid 15 bucks for it!

m2tandk
05-06-2002, 01:33 PM
thanks for the replies! i have 2 outfits from Sears i haven't gotten to wear yet(not showing, just anxious to buy something). and one shirt from Target that seems nice. Motherhood seems to size their clothes small. Is that your experience?? I am a true size 13/14 so I assume a large will fit, but i am broad shouldered so should i buy XL in tops and a large in pants?

kelly

mommymaria
05-06-2002, 06:11 PM
That can be a tough call. Here is my experience with Motherhood sizing. I am a 12-14 petite w/ broad shoulders and wore anything from a Motherhood medium in the tank tops and basic T's to a large in the cotton blouses to an XL in a more fitted style stretch blouse. Funny thing was that I actually bought the mediums toward the end of my pregnancy last summer. (I had refused to go sleeveless but the heat wave made me cave in and run to the store for some tanks to wear the last month.)

If I remember correctly, the bottoms did run small. I carried high so the large shorts worked out fine. The stretch capris did not fit correctly regardless of the size.

Sorry so wordy but hope it helps,
Maria

savvymomtobe
05-06-2002, 09:23 PM
Sears is great when they have a sale. I bought one of my staple outfits and got it 40% off. I wear it 1-2 times a week and it has held up great. I really must recommend Ross dress for less. They have a small maternity section but if you are looking for casual clothes you can pick up some great t-shirts for $5-6. I actually got a $40 Adidas maternity shirt for about $6. Also Old Navy can't be beat, stylish clothes, great prices. They have a lot of coupons and great sales and if it doesn't fit just return it to any Old Navy store for a refund.

All the best.:D
Ann Marie

m2tandk
05-07-2002, 11:17 AM
Thanks, we sound about the same. I am only 5 foot 2 inches and a 12-14 so things are tough when it comes to sizing for me! Everything is either too long or too tight across my chest! Thanks for the info about the capris. I liked them, darn!! Didn't try them on though. Anybody shop at Burlington Coat Factory's maternity dept. They carry Oh Mamma brand and a few others that I liked.

Kelly

m2tandk
05-07-2002, 11:18 AM
I checked out Old Navy online, do they seel in store maternity too? Or is it like Gap?? Only online? I love Old Navy and you are right, the prices are great!

Kelly

savvymomtobe
05-08-2002, 08:16 AM
Old Navy only sells online. However you can do any returns for a full refund to your local store. At times their shipping can be a little slow but I have found it well worth the wait.

The camisoles with the built in bra a great, super comfortable especially in the heat (I live in Miami, so I have used my alot since I bought it in March.. I found the fabric to be much softer and heavier than the camisoles sold at Motherhood.

Good Luck
Ann Marie

mom2be
05-09-2002, 07:07 PM
Old Navy now has maternity in their "flag ship, " stores in NY and San Fran. Flag ship stores are the bigest stores with all the newest items. I've ordered a few things from old navy and they seem okay. Gap always has awsome sales on basics! I bought a kakhi coat fro $15. The Gap things I have wash great too. =)