PDA

View Full Version : Weaning

sophiesmom
05-07-2002, 09:22 AM
I have been breastfeeding exclusively for 9 months. My husband and I want to try to have another baby soon, so I want to begin weaning my daughter. I talked to her Dr. and she suggests replacing 1 feeding every 5 to 7 days, so that's my plan. I'm looking for some advice for the following:

1. I feel very guilty about weaning, although I'm excited about having another baby! Did anyone feel this way?

2. We are famous here for nursing and going to sleep, before naps and bedtime. Looking for suggestions on how to deal w/ getting her out of this routine also.

Anything else anyone has to say would be great too! Thanks.

momathome
05-07-2002, 11:45 AM
This is tough. I've gone through it twice now, so I can sympathize with you. The best thing you can do for your daughter is to force yourself to find other ways to comfort her before going to sleep. I know how easy it is to rely on the breast to provide instantaneous comfort but it is important that your baby stop assocciating breastfeeding with sleeping. Has your baby taken any bottles up to this point? If not, you may want to forgo bottles altogether and go strait to a sippy cup. I did this with my second daughter who hated bottles and only wanted to nurse - she took to the sippy cup much better and mastered it by 9 months-old, although we continued nursing until she was 13 months-old. It may help if your husband gives her the milk while you are not around - the key is to stay out of the room the entire time he is feeding her. If my daughter caught sight of me even for a split second, she would refuse the milk and just want Mama. You can try establishing new routines before bed such as a bath or by reading a book. The important thing is to keep whatever routine you establish as consistent as possible so that she understands that all of what you are doing together is leading to bedtime. As far as the guilt goes, well, that comes with the territory. Just keep reminding yourself that 9 months of a positive nursing experience is more than what a lot of mothers can manage and that the bond that you have with her goes far beyond the nursing connection. Plus, once you have another baby, you will get to experience that comfort all over again! Best of luck to you.
-Lauren

sophiesmom
05-07-2002, 12:38 PM
Thanks a lot. She has taken occasional bottles, but will only take them from me (go figure). It will be challenging not being able to nurse her, like you said, it is so comforting to her, and so easy. I guess at this point she will be able to drink the bottles herself, which will be good, but bedtime and if she wakes in the middle of the night will be tough for a while I guess... Thanks again...

Melanie
05-08-2002, 06:05 PM
I have known some who just weaned themselves because they didn't like the change in milk once the mother was pregnant again.