PDA

View Full Version : Breastmilk storage, thawing & heating

daisymommy
05-13-2002, 09:52 AM
I am planning on using the Avent Isis pump with the 4oz. breastmilk storage containers to store my milk in (baby #1 is due in August). My question is: How long can breast milk be kept in the fridge before it goes bad? what about the freezer? How should I thaw the milk (out on the counter, or in the fridge?) How long does it take? and how do I reheat it? Does anyone use the Avent botle warmer(is it safe for breastmilk--unlike the microwave?) I know one person previously said they warm their bottles in a mug of hot water, but the Avent bottles are so big around that there's no way they'll fit in a mug! Please tell all! I'm clueless as to how to properly store, freeze, thaw and warm my milk. I'd like to pump& store it in the Avent containers, then pour it into Playtex disposable bottles for baby's use. Thank-you for your help!

vivianm
05-13-2002, 10:39 AM
Here's a comprehensive source for info on collecting, storing, and thawing breastmilk: http://www.medela.com/NewFiles/coll_store.html I don't know what the Avent 4 oz. containers are like; I use breastmilk storage bags which take up less room in the freezer than a bottle and are also much easier to thaw. If need be I can thaw a frozen bag in a few minutes by popping it into a mug or bowl of warm water and replacing the water every time it cools off.

twins r fun
05-13-2002, 10:46 AM
I was unable to successfully breastfeed my premature twins so I pumped almost all their meals for 4 months. Here's the info I was given by the lactation consultant at the hospital. You can store freshly expressed milk at room temp 4 hours, in the refrigerator for 5-7 days, and in the freezer for 3-6 months. Also once you thaw frozen breastmilk it can be stored in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Those times always seemed a little long to me. I was used to the standards the neonatal unit used which were 1 hour at room temperature and 48 hours in the refrigerator. In reality, I kind of went in the middle of the two standards. I'm not a pro at thawing frozen milk because I never had a huge surplus to freeze! What little I did freeze I would just take out of the freezer, put it in the refrigerator overnight, and use it the next day. I didn't use a bottle warmer, just hot water in large styrofoam cups. Here's some additional info about thawing off the handouts I was given: "Place sealed container in a bowl of warm water for 30 minutes. Don't use hot water, as this can destroy some of the protective properties of the milk." Obviously I ignored that and used hot tap water anyway!
Let me know if I can help with any other questions.

Nicole

daisymommy
05-14-2002, 08:36 AM
Thank-you so much! The Medela website was very helpful, and I printed out several pages to keep on hand for later!