PDA

View Full Version : Bikini underwear and a c-section!

luvbeinmama
05-15-2002, 04:37 PM
Just thought some might like to be aware of this...

I wear bikini (not the french-cut)underwear on a regular basis and have found they work great during pregnancy, too. Especially not having to spend money on special maternity underwear! Anyway, my point is that IF you wear bikinis AND end up having a c-section (which I did, and will have to again this time), you will want to have a package (6) of full size briefs (1-2 sizes larger than usual) for after the surgery. Just the *thought* of using bikini underwear over the incision made me wince. I ended up having my mom drive me to the store right after I got home from the hospital so I could get some.

Shirale
05-20-2002, 10:52 AM
Hi! I actually wore Bikini underwear after my c-section, but I got a size larger so it went a little higher up! It is a good idea, though, to buy briefs for the next time around, when that time comes, although I will try a V-Bac...Thanks for the advice!

luvbeinmama
05-20-2002, 06:18 PM
I thought VBAC might be an option, too. But, I'm hearing a couple things about that. 1) Many hospitals are not allowing them. 2) Many doctors are not doing them anymore. The reason: risk of uterine rupture (and the following law suits). Sure, the risk may not be high, but I'll bet the next ones to crack down on it will be the insurance companies. My doctor stopped doing them, so I'm having another c-section. Apparently my hospital is allowing them, BUT the doctor MUST be on hand (he would have to be at the hospital or at his office which is across the parking lot) for the ENTIRE labor process. Yeah, right... like THAT'S going to happen! Anyway, just thought I'd share that, too.

Shirale
05-23-2002, 10:37 AM
That is so interesting...I wasn't aware! I just had my first 5 months ago so it will prob be a little while til IO attempt doing the pregnancy thing again....:-) I fond the c-section the easiest part of the whole thing, except that it was scary since I didn't know if my baby was ok! Did you ever do a vaginal birth? thanks for the info!

luvbeinmama
05-25-2002, 11:33 PM
Actually, my c-section started out as an attempted vaginal! But, no, he's my first, so I never actually delivered vaginally. I labored about 11-12 hours and pushed for 2 hours. You could see the hair on his head when I pushed, but his head was so big he wasn't making it around my pelvic bones. And his heart rate went down whenever I pushed. So, after 2 hours of trying, I went into surgery. I was really scared, too, although not because I was worried about the baby! The idea of surgery just scared me, AND having to be awake for it. Were you freezing, too? I've never been so cold in my life!! Thankfully, my DH did a GREAT job of talking me through the whole thing, so I didn't have to think about it. This time, though, I don't think it will be as bad, since I know what to expect. I guess the bonus is not having to deal with an episiotomy or tear in that area, even though the recovery time is longer and you can't sit up on your own for a week. The doc says recovery will be faster this time, though, which is nice, since I have a toddler and DH will probably only be home for a few days after I get back from the hospital. Thank GOD for my MOMS Club!! The gals are just wonderful, and I know I'll be able to count on them for help, too.

Okay, I'm getting long-winded here...

Shirale
05-27-2002, 08:21 PM
I was frezing too! And I could not stop shaking...it was awful! I attempted vaginal also- but after 21 hours, pitocin, etc, only made it to 7 cm, and pitocin made the babies heart rate drop...i was overdue, my water had meconium and I had pre-eclampsia...so they just did it....good thing too, b/c after they delivered her I strted showing signs of toxemia. anyhow- I also never expected to have a section so I wasn't at all prepared. Did you have a hard time breatfeeding (if you did) b/c of it? My milk didn't come in for a week! Anyhow- nice to talk with someone else who had one, seems like most of my friends had vaginal births!

luvbeinmama
05-30-2002, 05:51 PM
Wow! No, I didn't have any trouble with the breast feeding, my son figured it out right away, though my milk came in 1-2 days after I got home after 4 days in the hospital. So, I guess that was ALMOST a week. I actually went into labor 2 weeks early, about 3 1/2 hours after we got home from the last Lamaze class! LOL! And he was already 8 lbs 7 oz at birth! I know what you mean about most friends having vaginal births. My SIL has had 2 c-sections now, though, so at least I have someone to talk to about it.