PDA

View Full Version : Breast pump for stay at home moms

ctsiouts
05-25-2002, 02:37 PM
I know that the pump in style is the preferred pump for most working women, but are they worthwhile if the mother is not necessarily going to return to work? What do most stay at home mom's out there use?
Thanks!

jenneric_2000
05-25-2002, 09:38 PM
Well, I don't know how "typical" of a SAHM I am but I started with the Isis --which is a fine pump--but I broke down and bought the PIS. I found it on Babycatalog.com for an unbelievable $189 and thought at the time it would be more of an investment as I plan to have other children. Well, the Isis is great, but this pump is a whole 'nother thing! With the Isis if I was lucky, I'd get 5oz in ten minutes then have to switch sides...by then I was bored or wanted to do something else while the little one was still sleeping.With the pump in style, the sheer ease of doing both at once was a huge gift plus I'd get 5 oz per in under ten minutes! For me, the time saver made me so happy (it is amazing what ten extra minutes buys you--shower? cup of tea?) it was well worth the money and now I wish I'd done it from the beginning....so the PIS gets my vte if you can swing it financially....

minamorin
05-26-2002, 08:24 PM
i am a stay-home mother, and i use medela PIS. i tell you, it has saved my life, since i've been experiencing lactation problems. another way to see it: it pays for itself in several months if you think about what it would cost you to buy formulas. you may also look into rental options.

sophiesmom
05-27-2002, 05:01 PM
I used the Gerber batttery/electric pump. It's a small pump, runs about $30. I really liked it and it suited my needs. I only pumped occasionally, so it worked great for me. After about 5 or 6 months I supplemented w/ an occasional bottle of formula if needed. I also had a great experience w/ breastfeeding, been doing it for almost 10 months. I don't think I would want to spend the $ on an expensive pump, would rather spend it on other things for the baby, but it probably depends on your situation, how breastfeeding is going, and how much you want to pump in general. Have you had the baby yet? If not, might want to wait to see how bfeeding goes before buying...

Melanie
05-29-2002, 05:43 PM
I purchased the Medela Double Ease for $189, thinking that the only difference between it and the Pump In Style (besides $100) was the noise & the battery-option (I guess PIS does have this too, now?). I was wrong. After I had opened it, I found out from an LC that it wasn't as good. I should have spent the $100. Having said that, I am a SAHM who pumps occasionally (I should more often, but nap time is my play time!). I get about 4 ounces total in 15 minutes with it. Every body is different, but I would suggest the Pump In Style.

Mommy to Little Jonah

daisy
05-31-2002, 03:12 PM
I am definitely glad I bought the PIS. Yes, you're home, but as my sister put it when I asked her before buying, when you want to pump, you don't want to mess around. I've found that I can only pump when he's sleeping. It's efficient, it works, and I can't imagine what I'd do without it. I bought my PIS at Babies R Us with one of the 15% off coupons they send you when you're pregnant. I think it came to $235 including tax.

caroliner
06-03-2002, 02:45 PM
I know this is posted elsewhere, but if you do get the PIS, buy from Kidalog, the Canadian co. I got mine for US $158.32, no tax, and shipping for it along with several other products was less than $12. No better price that I have ever heard of.