PDA

View Full Version : Weaning

sophiesmom
06-04-2002, 08:29 PM
I've decided to finally to start weaning my 10 month old daughter from breastfeeding (want to try for #2 in the fall!). I have so far only replaced her 4:30ish feeding, 3 days in a row now. The past 2 days, right after I miss her feeding, I can feel myself getting very irritable/emotional. I feel like I could cry at the drop of a hat! I know this is normal, but was looking for any suggestions to help myself 'feel better' during this transition. Thanks!!

KathyO
06-06-2002, 10:33 AM
I know where you're coming from! This is gonna sound a bit (a lot!) cornball, but whenever I'm wrestling with this kind of transition, I fix a mental image in my mind of my daughter tall and strong and happy, reading books, running around, coming travelling with me, and enjoying life as an older child and a grown-up. Whatever difficult thing I'm doing (weaning, immunizations, toilet training, whatever) is a step towards that image of happy, healthy independence.

Then, to console _myself_ about the end of the intimate, nurturing, breastfeeding relationship, I went shopping for a really gorgeous, lacy pushup bra, to rediscover my inner Hot Chick. Okay, so I'm shallow! But it helped!

All the best,

Cheers,

KathyO

sophiesmom
06-06-2002, 02:58 PM
LOL! Thanks! I'll take your advice, and treat myself to something when this is done. I'm also realizing that I'll be able to nurse again with the next baby, and that is a good feeling. :-)

dubbogod
06-06-2002, 11:17 PM
I also feel your pain, as I've had 2 babies who self weaned a little younger than yours, and it was so sad for me. This one, my ds, tried to self wean, but I struggled and we worked through it (he's also 10 months) and he's back on track. But I know the sadness that one can feel. May I ask why you feel you have to wean just because you want to get pregnant, you may be able to without weaning, especially by the fall when your baby is a lot older and not nursing near as much. Nursing while pregnant, and even tandem nursing once the baby is born is very possible if it's what you really want. If you really feel like you want to keep nursing, then contact Le Leche League (www.lelecheleague.org) or a lactation consultant and find out what you can do to keep going, but still have another child. But if you really do want to wean, I'd agree with KathyO and take time for yourself, do snuggling and cuddling with your baby, look at books, etc., to make up for that missed nursing time. Good luck, whatever you decide!!

sophiesmom
06-07-2002, 07:48 AM
Thanks for sharing.... I've decided to wean for 2 reasons... the first may be a little selfish.. just wanted a few months to 'myself' , which I know a few months isn't much. The second, I have read and also my pediatrician told me,,, if you breastfeed while you are pregnant, this takes away nutrients from the new baby. I know babies can end up weaning themselves once mommy is pregnant, but I didn't want to take a chance regarding a new baby.
I will, however, call La Leche, because I'm curious if this is true... will post back once I find out... :-)
ps. weaning is going pretty well, this sunday I'm adding a 2nd feeding replacement.... I think nighttime (she still wakes up once in the middle of the night to nurse, I'm sure by now it's habit, but it doesn't bother me so I've never tried to do anything to get her out of it!) will be the biggest challenge!!!

mes14
06-08-2002, 06:57 PM
I got pregnant while breastfeeding my son and I continued to feed him while I was pregnant with no problems. I did go to LaLeche meetings because everyone was telling me that I was harming the baby. Not true! I have a beutiful healthy daughter to prove it. It wasn't easy, but I didn't want to wean my son before he was ready. I agree about the night time feeding being the hardest one for the baby to give up.
I think that you should do what's best for you. If you feel that you need time for yourself before the new baby go for it. I feel like I have been breastfeeding for the last 20 months of my life....Only six more to go!
Good luck!

sophiesmom
06-09-2002, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the info. I am still wondering if this is the right thing to do, I think it is, so I am continuing. I just feel bad for her, like i'm taking something away from her that she loves.
Tomorrow starts bottle #2 for each day. We're having trouble w/ naps, since I got in the (bad?) habit of nursing her to sleep most of the time. She cried a lot today, and I handed her over to DH and she finally fell asleep....
Thanks again!

mes14
06-09-2002, 08:19 PM
I know what you mean about the guilt! I have talked to so many moms whose babies just weaned themselves. I wasn't so lucky with my son. He hated the taste of formula, so at 10 months, at the suggestion of our Pediatrician we started giving him cow's milk. He would drink four bottles a day, but he still wanted to nurse. The Ped said that he didn't need breastmilk but he needed that feeling of closeness. It was so hard once the new baby arrived because he would see her breastfeeding and he would want to also nurse. Looking back, I should have weaned him completely before the baby arrived. The good thing is that you're slowly weaning your daughter and you're giving her plenty of time to adjust to the change.