PDA

View Full Version : nursing clothes

jojo2324
06-08-2002, 09:18 AM
Any recommendations on nursing clothes that don't look too matronly? Most of the stuff I've seen is not my cup of tea. I am due in a couple of weeks and would like to try to get a few things before the baby arrives. Many thanks in advance!

ps...went to babystyle and all i could find was one shirt...$72!! that's a lot, isn't it?

MinnieMouse
06-08-2002, 01:20 PM
To be honest, I don't own any! Dd is almost 11 months old and I couldn't see spending that much money for such ugly clothing! I just make sure I wear separates and I haven't had a problem. I wear either tops that are a bit larger to accomodate dd underneath...or I layer a button down shirt over a tank top.

I just got frustrated at anything I found that was "nursing". The t-shirts were too ugly with the "extra" flaps and any "blouses" are button down which makes no sense to me...spend less on a regular button down and just unbutton it from the bottom!! I have seen some decent dresses on motherwear.com, but I just haven't had the $$$ to shell out for any of them.

I do own some nursing nightgowns..but they are frustrating to use. They are great for hanging around the house...but sleeping in them is difficult. They ride up while you are sleeping and when you have your dh bring the baby to you in the middle of the night, invariable the slits will be TOTALLY misaligned and you will have to get up and readjust the nightgown and lay back down "just right" in order to have everything line up comfortably.

My advice...in the beginning, wear some maternity tops. They are roomy and will give you enough room to manuever and be comfy. Later on invest in some roomy tops and pants or skirts....they will work just fine and you won't have to mortgage your house for your wardrobe.

HTH
Christine

egoldber
06-08-2002, 02:35 PM
I completely agree with the above post. I bought one "nursing" top and hated it. Initially I just wore maternity clothes (all I fit into anyway at first :) ). After that I just wore large-ish T-shirts and regular blouses. I felt it was less revealing than nursing clothes anyway. Almost all my mommy friends that breastfed did the same thing. This worked for us for the 6 months that I breastfed.

HTH,

mspacman
06-08-2002, 09:25 PM
I second that... I have a couple of nursing tops from the Motherhood clearance rack, and I've worn them maybe once. I don't even know where they are now! Nursing nightgowns (got them as shower gifts) are about the most useless things I own. Lotsa luck trying to cram your breast through that hole in the dark at 3 am with a baby squirming and crying in your arms. Button-down pajamas or nightgowns work much better and you don't pay outrageous amounts for them.

For daytime, I went with button-down maternity blouses till my tummy shrank some, then (last December) I bought a bunch of buttoned and zippered cardigans at the Eddie Bauer outlet for only $15 each. Actually, any sort of top works fine as long as it's not too tight and has some stretch. Even regular non-nursing bras can be worn if made of stretchy material. Just slide the strap halfway down your arm and pop your breast out over the top.

momathome
06-09-2002, 07:10 PM
While I completely agree that everyday nursing clothes are not neccessary, if you are going somewhere nice with your baby and need to look a little dressier, OneHotMama.com has an excellent selection of nursing clothes that are very hip and not overpriced. I had to go a wedding while I was still nursing my 7 month-old (who refused bottles, of course) and I bought a beautiful nursing dress that completely does not look like a nursing dress (my sister-in-law was shocked when I told her it was). I think I paid about $70 for the dress and it shipped to me in a about three days. Considering I would have paid about the same price for a regular dress to wear for the wedding, I thought it was pretty reasonable. They have both casual and dressy clothes, along with breast pumps and other baby and maternity items. Good luck!
-Lauren

trumansmom
06-10-2002, 09:41 AM
Although I don't wear nursing clothes all that frequently (oddly enough, I'm wearing one today!), I have found they are very convenient for travelling and do own several shirts. They are also great when you start feeling a need to wear a dress again!

I definitely agree that One Hot Mama is great! The other place that I really liked the quality and style and had awesome customer service, is Motherwear.com. Expressiva.com has some fun stuff, too.

Also, somewhere in this board, I posted a site I found that had literally hundreds of nursing clothes sites on it. Sorry I don't have it anymore, but you should be able to search and find it.

I don't recomend Motherhood Maternity, except that they are very inexpensive. Also, I had bad luck with "Breast is Best". Their quality was really poor. I ordered a shirt from their clearance rack, and the stripes were all off kilter and they didn't do returns on sale items.

Good luck!

Melanie
06-11-2002, 01:33 AM
I have one motherwear nursing dress, other than that I just wear short tops which don't need to tuck in. The dress isn't all that easy to nurse in, but it's better than nothing at all when I want to wear one. I do have 1 nursing nightgown and 1 nursing PJ set which rotate in with regular short top & bottom PJ's. At first (it was winter) I just wore really long button-down shirts over my short top and pants (had preggy tummy for a month or so).

Mommy to Jonah

LAMom1120
06-16-2002, 08:45 AM
I've had awesome luck with Expressiva Nursingwear... www.expressiva.com. They had an awesome line of clothes and are very reasonably priced. I have a dress that I wore to a black tie wedding.....I will definitely continue to wear it after I stop nursing my son (now 7 months). They also have clothes that are great for work!

I happen to be on the site the other day looking for some gifts for friends that just had babies. They have some great deals on their clearance page.

Good luck.

LAMom1120

ct
06-17-2002, 01:23 PM
I found most nursing wear too misaligned to my body. Be sure to try on any shirts before you take the tags off (hard to do when you're pregnant, so you'll probably want to wait until after the baby arrives) to make sure there is a good fit. I had a problem with certain styles and brands and the location of the slits with respect to the location of my breasts!! If they don't line up, they are way too cumbersome to use. Also, depending on your size some nursing shirts don't stay closed, which defeats the purpose of wearing a shirt in the first place. Anyway, I didn't wear too many nursing shirts due to the above mentioned problems, however, I did end up buying numerous solid color (especially white) nursing tank tops (I believe at Motherwear) and simply wore a cardigan or other shirt buttoned over it. That way you have a nursing shirt on to hide your tummy when out and about, but you've got something appealing on over it so no fashion catastrophe!! Best wishes to you!!

ct