PDA

View Full Version : nursing pads

jojo2324
06-08-2002, 02:59 PM
Okay, am obviously due any minute and realizing I know nothing about post birth stuff...I went to the drug store today and tried to outfit the hospital bag, got some Lansinoh (sp?) and was put into a panic attack about nursing pads because I don't know the first thing about them...Which brand is best? Should I get the cloth ones or the sticky ones? Am I going to have little fabric shards all over my nipples if I use the cloth ones? Should I just forgo a shirt and bra entirely? help! really clueless and due in two weeks.

egoldber
06-08-2002, 03:54 PM
OK. Deep cleansing breath. It will be OK. :) You WILL figure it out. EVERY new mom feels clueless, and somehow we all manage to do OK. And in the grand scheme, it makes NO difference what nursing pads you buy. :) :)

That being said, I was quite fond of the Lansinoh disposables. They were thin and comfy and great for the diaper bag. At first, I used the cloth ones at night, since it is a little cheaper. But I decided after about 2 weeks that I HATED wearing a bra at night and stopped. I leaked, but so what. I washed my PJs more frequently. And I must admit that sometimes in those hazy early breastfeeding every 2 hours round the clock days, I was often too tired to bother buttoning my shirt, so foregoing shirt and bra is always an option...

I finally settled into wearing the cloth ones at home and using disposables when going out and keeping the disposables in the diaper bag. I never had a problem with fabric shards from the cloth ones. And after a couple months you stop leaking quite so much and go though fewer pads.

HTH,

luvbeinmama
06-09-2002, 07:54 PM
Gosh, it's been a while...

I used the cloth ones and found them very comfortable and sufficient for between nursing leakage, and they wash just fine, and you don't have to keep buying them. That said, when I was actually feeding my son I had to put a bandana folded up on the opposite side from which my son started as that would leak VERY MUCH when I let down, and the nursing pads didn't cut it. And, no, you don't have to worry about fabric shards :) ! I don't really remember what I did at night, but I think I just used my nursing bra at night for a while until I stopped leaking so much.

KathyO
06-09-2002, 09:42 PM
By all means get yourself some of the pads, but don't go overboard yet... I never leaked, and so I have a drawer full of the darned things!! You may find that it's simply not an issue for you.

Cheers,

KathyO

Samantha
06-10-2002, 05:57 AM
Personally, I use cloth at night, and disposable during the day. My son is 4 months old and I still leak a lot. I use the gerber thin disposables, which I like a lot.
It sounds like you're a little panicked, which is totally normal. Try giving La Leche League a call (www.lalecheleague.org for the leader nearest you). They'll help put your mind at ease and support you all the way!!

Sam

APG
06-10-2002, 08:45 PM
I liked the johnson and johnson disposable pads. they were "molded" to your breast and as a result, they showed less

Melanie
06-11-2002, 01:29 AM
I think the brand of disposables depends on your breast size/shape. I liked the gerber, but used the lansinoh, too. I also used cloth, but when I was using the lanolin I prefered disposable. They also come in handy if you get a candida infection as you can change them after every feeding to help keep clean. I used many with a stretchy light bra during the night at first. I would leak all the time. However it went away after a few months and now I don't need them at all. I would but a couple sets of cloth and a box of disposable so you don't have to run to the store the first weeks. Also, don't forget at least one nursing PJ/Night gown. Good luck!

Mommy to Jonah