PDA

View Full Version : Good cotton washable nursing pads?

daisymommy
06-13-2002, 12:27 PM
I'm expecting baby #1 in August and am hoping to be a SAHM as well as breastfeed. I've read about everyone's favorite disposable nursing pads (Lansinoh and J&J Healthflows) but haven't found any opinions out there for good washable pads. I'd like to have some on hand to try to cut costs. How soon after removing them from your bra do you need to wash them to avoid staining or yuckiness? Do you rinse them out, then toss them in the wash (in a lingere bag) with the rest of your wash? Can you put them in the dryer? I've only seen Medela cotton washables, but some reviews say they look rediculous under clothes and don't work well. What do you all think? TFYH! Amy

muskiesusan
06-13-2002, 06:44 PM
I had two brands, a bunch of pads from Motherhood and some Avent ones. They both worked well, but I preferred the Avent. They were a little thicker and held up better over time (I needed the pads for 3 mths prior and 6 months after my son's birth). I just put them in the washer and dryer with my other clothes, and we do laundry every couple of days. I only noticed them under my clothes when I had really tight shirts on, but in my opinion, most nursing bras don't look good under those shirts either, so they are now in the back of my closet. IMO, the washable pads are better then the disposable ones. I didn't care for the plastic backing on the disposable pads and I had trouble with them bunching up in my bra.
HTH
Susan

jenneric_2000
06-15-2002, 09:34 PM
I can't remember the name of the pads I bought (I know, some help I am!) but they are from Target and weren't Avent or Medela. All I can say is that I have a love/hate relationship with them. When DD and I had thrush early on, they were great b/c you had to constantly change your pads and it would have been so $$$ to use disposables. However, they show under almost any shirt...especially now that it is summer. I just use them overnight now. As far as maintenance, I just washed them with regular clothes (usually with the baby's!) and after only one wash they looked rather "worn" but they did get really soft--guess that's the trade! I want to pass along super high thumbs up for the J&J disposies...def have some on hand! GOOD LUCK!

pearl
06-16-2002, 01:08 AM
I use Lansinoh washable pads. I bought them at Walmart. Like others have said, they can be visible under certain types of clothing, but I suppose that's true for most pads. I think this brand is very comfortable. I wash them by hand and let them air dry when I have time, but I also wash them with my regular clothes and throw them in the dryer. I've let them sit for hours before washing them sometimes and I haven't had problems with stains yet. I prefer these pads over disposables.

New_Mom
06-24-2002, 08:25 AM
I used the Gerber cotton pads and they tended to leak! I would like to use washable pads, but haven't found anything yet.

FYI I used the Playtex underwire nursing bras. They look nice and are easy to use, but 2 of 3 had underwires pop out after the first washing!! Playtex is replacing them, but I had to mail the old ones before getting the new ones which is a pain. A little off the subject, but thought you might be intersted!

Sam's mom (8w)

daisymommy
06-24-2002, 10:40 AM
If anyone else has tried these, I was wondering...I saw these Avent washables at Walmart and noticed the little "V" stitched area that's supposed to be thicker and catch more milk. But doesn't the stitching scratch your breast and irritate you? I didn't buy them for that reason. I bought the Medela 100% cotton ones. They are very soft, but not nicely contoured like the Avent one's unfortunately.