PDA

View Full Version : Nursing bra or comfy regular bra?

LailaCa
06-15-2002, 10:51 AM
I wear Body by Victoria no wire bras and find them perfectly comfy even now in the 8th month. I am hesitant to buy nursing bras due to the comfort I have with the VS bras. Do I really need to buy a nursing bra or will using the VS be just as simple?

jenneric_2000
06-15-2002, 12:09 PM
There's no *need* to buy them while you are pg. Most people do buy them around the 8th month if they plan to nurse. Will you be nursing? I must say, I can't imagine nursing in anything but a nursing bra. Once when my nursing bras were all in the laundry I got by with a sports bra but it was mighty uncomfy. Now, I am not sure if your bras are front closure or not, those might work while you are nursing 'round the house, but it may be tricky to be latching them up in public. The other essential thing about nursing bras is that many have adjustable cups (several hooks to choose from) which helps with the every changing size of your breasts (like from before and after feeding).

LailaCa
06-15-2002, 02:03 PM
Thanks...those were good points to consider. My bras are all back closures, however, they are soooooo comfy I hate not to have them. Still I will check out the nursing bras that so many are recommending. Please let me know if you have any you consider the best. Thanks again.

egoldber
06-15-2002, 05:33 PM
Personally, I would only buy one nursing bra ahead of time and would wait and see how big you are when your milk comes in. I was a B before baby, a C while pregnant and a D while nursing. I used just plain old Playtex nursing bras from Target ($18 not on sale) and I was very happy with them. After awhile (maybe 2 months into nursing?) I also used bras that were the stretchy sporty type and just pulled them up to nurse and then pulled them back down afterwards. I found that easier than using the nursing bras. You need to find what works for you, so don't invest too much in one type of bra. Experiment and find what works.

HTH,

jenneric_2000
06-15-2002, 09:41 PM
I know! It is so rare to find comfy bras! I, too, bought the playtex from Target and they are fine bras, in my opinion, but nothing fabulous. I splurged for a few bras from Mimi maternity that were stretchy lace and snapped closed at the front. These bras do not have the adjustable cups I mentioned in my post above but the lace really "stretches to fit." I found the front snaps to be really easy to manage and these bras have more of an overall "normal" bra vibe to them. I would check out Motherwear.com, I know they sell them and while there check out their stretch lace night time nursing bra--that is an awesome investment. Also, many mom's swear by Bravado bras. I liked them but the racer back, vest like nature felt rather confining to me. GOOD LUCK!

New_Mom
06-24-2002, 08:32 AM
I also wore the Body by Victoria before and throughout pregnancy. I tried wearing one after DS was born, but it didn't breath well and trapped moisture. It is also difficult to use bc of back closures.

I did get the Playtex underwire nursing bras and like their shape and ease of use. 2 of 3 had underwires pop after the first washing! I called Playtex and they had me send them back and will be sending replacements (a pain since I hate to wear nursing bras more than one time bw washing), but good customer service.

BTW I am the same size now that I was in my 8th month (36C) --was 36B before.

Hope this helps!!

Mom to Sam (8 weeks)

Melanie
07-07-2002, 06:34 AM
Definitely buy a couple of nursing bras ahead of time, and practice hooking & unhooking them one-handed. I had a couple I wore at the end of my pregnancy which were a pain when actually nursing. I suggest one of those really light & stretchy ones for at night (to keep the breast pads in place) at first, and the Playtex underwire alternative from Target or Walmart. You don't want to have to be running out to buy these with a new tiny baby (like I did). It's not one of those things you can send someone else to get.

Mommy to Jonah

Rachels
07-08-2002, 01:18 PM
I also used to wear the VS bras, but don't find they work for nursing. However, I also don't really like the nursing bras-- too matronly. I have had great luck with the Elita Microfiber bras sold at www.sierrablue.com. They're crossover bras, so I just pull one cup down to nurse. No hooks or snaps, and they're also comfortable and pretty enough that I don't mind having them on. They're very stretchy, also. I think sierrablue sells the same design in cotton as well.

Hope that helps!