PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a recipe....

sophiesmom
06-19-2002, 10:35 PM
for Dirt. Ok, this isn't a major baby issue, but I need to make it for a party and I have found 2 different recipes. One is w/ just pudding, cool whip, and oreos, and another calls for cream cheese and some other help.... If anyone has made this can you share your recipe?! Thanks!

luvbeinmama
06-21-2002, 05:07 PM
I've seen a few recipes for this, but don't have one written down as my son can't have milk products. BUT As I remember, the basic recipe is Chocolate pudding, with crumbled oreos or other chocolate cookies over the pudding, topped with a few gummy worms. There are several variations. You can go to communities.msn.com/beverlyskitchen/_whatsnew.msnw and ask the ladies there. They will give you lots of recipes.

I do have this recipe to share, but it is for Dirt Cake, not just Dirt.

JANE'S DIRT CAKE

Serves 12 to 15

When making dirt cake, it's important to begin and end with the ground Oreo mixture. Martha's friend Jane Heller likes to serve her dirt cake creatively: She presents the cake in a terilized terra-cotta pot, then inserts sunflowers (their stems wrapped in plastic) into the cake for decoration. Sterilize the pot by placing it in the oven at 350° for two to three hours. Avoid using any pot that has been glazed.

1 sixteen-ounce package Oreo cookies
12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
4 packages (3.9 ounces each) instant chocolate pudding
4 3/4 cups milk
3 recipes Sweetened Whipped Cream , or one 16-ounce carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
Candy, for decorating

1. If using a flowerpot with a drainage hole, reserve 1 cookie to place over hole to prevent leaking. Place remaining cookies in the bowl of a food processor. Process until mixture resembles dirt. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, combine cream cheese and butter, and stir until creamy. Set aside.

3. In another large bowl, whisk together instant-pudding mixes and milk; stir until well blended. Using a rubber spatula, fold pudding mixture into cream-cheese mixture. Fold in whipped cream.

4. In a flowerpot or bucket with a 5-quart capacity, alternate layers of cookie “dirt” and pudding mixture, starting and ending with cookie “dirt.” Chill at least 4 hours or overnight before serving. Garnish with candy.

daisymommy
06-21-2002, 09:58 PM
YEEEEAAAAHHHH! I've been looking for this recipe everywhere, but didn't know what it was called! This is so great for kids, served in a pail, with gummy worms on top. As a former preschool teacher (12 wonderful years), I found out that the grosser something is, the more kids love it! During a rainy week, I would present a theme on storms, rain, mud, and puddles. Then we would make "mud" (chocolate pudding with gummy worms). The kids thought that was so great. But I always wanted to make this recipe, but didn't have it. So now my kids-to-be can enjoy it someday. Thank-you!

sophiesmom
06-22-2002, 09:49 PM
Thanks! I ended up making my 'Dirt' this morning. It was a huge hit today at the party. Here's what I did:

2 boxes instant chocolate pudding
2 boxes instant vanilla pudding
2 pkgs oreos
2 8oz tubs cool whip

Mix pudding according to pkg directions (make each flavor separate). To each pudding mixture, add 1 tub cool whip and stir. Crush oreos. I bought a large plastic flower pot. Line bottom w/ foil. Layer oreos, choc pudding mix, oreos, vanilla pudding mix, etc. Last layer should be oreos. Top w/ gummy worms (or fake flowers, plants). I also bought a cheap trough (spelling?) to serve with.

YOu can cut this recipe in half for a smaller pot. I actually think this recipe is doubled already, as my pot was pretty big! Enjoy!