PDA

View Full Version : Nursing apron/cover-ups any good?

daisymommy
06-23-2002, 03:32 PM
I've seen these cotton waist length nursing apron cover ups in several stores (Walmart, Target, BRU). They snap around your neck and cover up the front of you so you can nurse discretley under it. Yes, they are not very attractive, but do they work well? I'm thinking maybe it's better than the old system of tossing a recieving blanket over your shoulder, because the apron won't fall off. Or does it really just get in the way? Anyone tried these? Thanks

egoldber
06-23-2002, 03:53 PM
A good friend of mine has this and really likes it. She uses it to nurse in restaurants, etc. and enjoys it very much. For her it meant the difference between continuing to nurse her baby and not, because she was too shy to nurse in public otherwise.

Just a thought, if you are going to use a sling, many times the "tail" of the sling can be used in a similar way if you nurse your baby in the sling.

HTH,

AugBaby
06-24-2002, 10:20 PM
I can't really comment on how well they work from personal experience as I ended up finding the whole receiving blanket-thrown-over-my-shoulder technique a pain. After a few times nursing in public I was comfortable enough (or uncomfortable enough with the blanket) to nurse without it. I'd hold off buying the apron or tent contraptions until you try using a receiving blanket or a sling. I also agree that using a sling is a great alternative.

I recommend nursing in front of a mirror to build your confidence. You'll be amazed at how little shows with strategic positioning of your baby and your clothes. Good luck!

Melanie
07-07-2002, 06:30 AM
I've seen them and I would think they'd make it pretty hot & boring under there for the baby. However, if it's the difference between nursing and not, then you have to do it. I found what worked best for me when I first nursed in public was a second layer - either a long baggy open shirt or sweater over a smaller shirt. That helps added a bit more covering to the sides.

Mommy to Jonah