PDA

View Full Version : going back to work.....

nina
07-06-2002, 10:03 AM
I'm currently breastfeeding, and am going back to work in a month. How do I start "stocking" breastmilk if I'm feeding him daily? Do I pump extra during the day in between feedings??

Thanks!
new mom

egoldber
07-06-2002, 12:30 PM
I found that pumping between feedings didn't work for me. I found that if I did that, then I had really low supply the next feeding. I used to pump in the morning after she was done. Since my supply was greatest in the morning, I usually had "extra" after she was done.

I also had DH give a bottle at night so that I could go to bed early and get at least 5 hours sleep at a stretch at some point. To build up a "supply" of expressed breatsmilk, that 1 night bottle was formula. I would pump before going to bed. If we didn't do this, I had a hard time "getting ahead" and just ended up feeding her what I had pumped that morning.

Some people have good luck feeding baby from one breast and pumping the other breast. This didn't really work for me, since she always wanted both sides!

You may have to experiment a bit and see what works for you.

HTH,

nina
07-07-2002, 09:00 AM
Thanks. I also am doing the same with my husband......but I pump in the morning, and he gives that bottle at night. Thus, as you said, I'm not "getting ahead". I also can't pump from one side as the baby wants both sides as well.

I will try to use formula and freeze what I pump....or does anyone else have other experiences / suggestions??

kerriflan
07-09-2002, 10:09 AM
I just went back to work a few weeks ago and only started with a few bottles of frozen EBM. I just started pumping when I felt my supply was full, like if she slept through a feeding or if she only nursed from one side. It enabled me to stock pile a few bottles before I started work. Then I have my sitter give my dd one bottle of formula (Enfamil Lipil seems the most like breastmilk) and one bottle of EBM a day. I pump once or twice at work so that replaces what has been used. I also try to pump on the weekends or whenever I can. I haven't run out yet!

Kerri