PDA

View Full Version : abdominal pains

nina
07-09-2002, 05:08 PM
anyone who breastfeeds notice any abdominal pains and/or "going to the bathroom" more often than usual? i've been breastfeeding for 6 weeks now and have noticed this every morning at the 3-4am and 6-7am feeds for the past week. i literally have to put the baby down so i can run to the bathroom!

if anyone has experienced this.....is there anything to do that helps??

sophiesmom
07-09-2002, 07:23 PM
I never had bad pains or rushing to the bathroom, but i know that breastfeeding helps shrink your uterus faster, so maybe that could be the reason for the abdominal pains.... ??? not sure about the bathroom thing though! You could check w/ La Leche or call your dr.. good luck!

Rachels
07-10-2002, 06:25 AM
I'm not sure about this, either, but as someone who has had painless urinary tract infections that wind up wreaking all kinds of havoc, I urge you to be sure it's not that. Ask your doctor! If this has just started in the last week, it's probably something that needs attention.

Good luck!

trumansmom
07-10-2002, 10:29 AM
I had this problem as well. I didn't do anything about it and eventually it went away on its own. It didn't last very long, but boy did it make my son angry!

If it keeps up, do call your doctor. But for me, I think it was just my body learning how to function "non-pregnant" again.

Hope you feel better.

nina
07-11-2002, 08:54 AM
Just as an update: I did see my OB yesterday, and she said it is breastfeeding related. The same hormone that constricts your uterus also can affect other smooth muscles...which includes the intestines. Nothing to do about it though, so I just hope it eventually goes away.

JMarie
07-11-2002, 06:40 PM
You may want to keep track of what you're eating as well. About three years ago, it seemed everything I ate sent me running to the bathroom, and it was worst around my cycle date. I finally ended up seeing a gastrointerologist, getting a colonoscopy, and was diagnosed with IBS. It's primarily stress related, but I was actually able to stop taking medication about a year ago. Unfortunately, pregnancy seems to have put my body under more stress than I can handle, and I'm back on the meds, at least for now. Just be sure you're getting enough sodium and potassium in your diet - with the running to the bathroom so often, you can actually alter your electrolyte levels and, worst case scenario, have a heart attack! Believe me, potassium drips in the ER are NO FUN - I've had more than enough for my taste (potassium is caustic to the skin and leaves a really pretty burn mark where the IV goes...)! Exercise and meditation have really helped, and Pilates and Yoga have been lifesavers. Good luck!

JMarie