PDA

View Full Version : petite maternity clothes

amyzjoy
07-12-2002, 11:30 AM
I am looking for casual and stylish maternity clothes for a petite body. (I am 5 feet tall). The other complication to my dimentions is a large bust (now at 38 DDD). Any suggestion on clothes lines given these two challenges?

Momof3Labs
07-12-2002, 12:53 PM
Stylish and maternity is a challenge, unless you are willing to spend a fair amount of money.

I am 5'4" and found petite sizes at Kohl's and Sears, sometimes JCP too. These stores tend to be better for basics - knit tops, jeans, shorts, capris, khakis, etc. I also bought quite a bit from the Gap (online only) and many of their items fit me fine - they accept returns at their stores and usually offer free shipping over $100, so this may be worth a try for you.

A number of maternity retailers have had knee-length dresses recently, with no waistline - these have fit me well because length isn't really an issue (if it is for you, you can always have them hemmed).

Unfortunately maternity tends to take a one-size-fits-most approach, and that means that I've tried on a lot of stuff and brought home very little. It's not an easy search - just keep on hunting and get creative (like buying larger sizes in the petites dept)!

Lori
due 10/12 w/ #1

hellollama
07-12-2002, 04:51 PM
I am 5'2" currently I am a 36DD, but I'm not due until January. With my first pregnancy I got up to a 38DD so I can kind of understand what you are going through.
For stylish petite pants you could try gap.com or oldnavy.com. My experience has been that their pants run big and a bit longer than some petite pants, but you can always return the items to the store, so you're not out any money for trying. My problem seems to be that the styles I want are never the ones available in petites.
You can also try the JC Penney catalog/jcpenney.com. I noticed that the new fall catalog has way more stylish clothes than they have in past seasons. Beware, though, the lengths for their petite pants are all over the place. The Bootleg jeans are 29 1/2 inches which doesn't seem very petite to me. So check the inseam before you order. My local JC Penney store doesn't have petite maternity pants, but again, you can just return catalog items to the store if they don't fit.
For buying off the rack, my best luck with the last pregnancy was Kohl's. The only problem is that the pants they sell are not very stylish, but they are cheap and you can wear stylish top with boring pants and still look pretty good.
Another tip is to buy some of the popular cropped pants which have 26 and 27 inch inseams.
As for tops, Mediums and Larges fit me just fine. If you are worried buy ones with spandex in them. The tops from old navy and gap are very stylish. They tend to fit closer to the body, but I actually think this looks better than loose. Avoid anything tent-like which just makes you look bigger and tends to look too long on petite women.

kerriflan
07-15-2002, 08:54 AM
I am also petite at only 5' and bought almost all of my maternity clothes at Motherhood. They have short length jeans that fit my legs perfectly (I was even able to still wear a size 2!!), although I did grow out of them at the very end. All of the other pants I bought there I just had to hem. (Thanks mom!) In my opinion, I thought the styles were very nice and the prices very reasonable. I ended up getting several pants suits and a few mix & match. The quality wasn't the best but you only wear them for a few months anyway so it didn't bother me too much.

I also got a few items at Kohl's... they carry short length pants too.

Kerri

cara1
07-24-2002, 07:23 PM
Petite maternity clothes are plentiful, well-made and stylish and Mimi maternity, although a bit pricy.