PDA

View Full Version : Lanolin Cream

Windy City Heather
07-12-2002, 01:45 PM
I just found out that Lanolin is wool based. I am allergic to wool. Does anyone know of other products that are not wool based or have other ideas for soothing sore nipples?

Heather

luvbeinmama
07-12-2002, 04:33 PM
I know there are nipple creams that are not wool based, but I don't remember what they are called. You might call the maternity ward at your hospital and ask the nurses. They would know. Sorry this isn't much help!

sntm
07-12-2002, 09:41 PM
You might still be able to use it. Lanolin is sheep fat, and it may not have the same allergenic components as sheep's wool. Depending on how bad your reaction is, I would consider asking your gyn or hospital for a sample and try it on your inner forearm to see if you develop a rash. If you have severe symptoms to wool (tongue swelling, wheezing, breathing difficulty, drop in blood pressure), I'd avoid it altogether. You might also consider calling an allergy doctor to see if he/she has any advice.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever

katzenkowz
07-13-2002, 04:56 PM
My mom (who breastfed 7 kids!!) says cocoa butter works, too. I have personally tried calendula-based ointments on other painful private areas with good success, but don't know if there's any problem with nursing off treated nipples. I got a wonderful lotion with emu oil from my pharmacist when my stretching belly was painful--emu oil is the latest undiscovered secret in skin irritation/healing (Skin Repair lotion by Aligon Pharmaceuticals; nonprescription--pricey but worth it). You can get calendula creams and ointments at the health food store--lifesvigor.com has a huge selection.

dominodong
07-14-2002, 10:55 AM
I had terrible nipple pain for almost 8 weeks and used this wonderful product called "Soothies." They are round disks made of a kind of soft hydrogel, and you put them on your nipples under your bra. For added relief, you can keep them in the fridge/freezer to chill them before you wear them. They are FANTASTIC and worked for me much, much better than the lanolin creams. I wore them day & night and only took them off when I was nursing or showering.

They sell them at my local CVS drug store, but I think some hospitals are carrying them now, too. I'm sure you can find them on the internet as well. They are not cheap - about $8 to $12 for a pair, which only lasts for a few days (maybe you can stretch it to a week), but for me it was worth that price to ease the soreness(heck, think of the cost of formula).

I wish you success with breastfeeding - I found it to be much harder than I thought, particularly challenging from a psychological rather than physical standpoint - but it is SO rewarding. I am still breastfeeding at 6 months and it feels wonderful. It's one of the best things I have ever done and well worth all the effort. Good luck!

Rachels
07-14-2002, 11:36 AM
I've heard soothies are wonderful, too, but thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten about those, but will try them. I am still sore (although manageably so) and my daughter is 8 weeks old.
The other thing I can recommend other than Lansinoh is olive oil. I have used that quite a lot and find that it is very soothing to dry, sore nipples. I carry a little bottle of it in the diaper bag, and have another little bottle next to our bed to use at night. The other advantage olive oil has over lanolin is that it doesn't stain.