PDA

View Full Version : Out of Maternity. . .when?

newbelly2002
07-18-2002, 01:41 PM
Here's a question for the crowds.

I'm moving to Europe about 5-6 weeks after our baby is born. In trying to pack (we're going for a few years), I'm trying to decide how much of my "maternity wardrobe" to bring with me. I would obviously like to avoid taking all those maternity clothes, in additon to all of my regular clothes because space will be tight. Since this is my first child, I have no idea what size I will be.

Now, I know that everyone is different, but 6 weeks post-preg. where are most people in relation to where you were at 8 1/2 mths pregnant and pre-pregnant?

Thanks for any and all help!
Paula

egoldber
07-18-2002, 02:20 PM
Unfortunately, 6 weeks is really the awkward inbetween phase. At that point I was mostly too small for maternity clothes and still too big for most of my pre-pregnancy clothes. I wore the "largest" and "stretchiest" of my regular clothes for a long time, maybe until like 4 months? I'm still not back into my smallest clothes and I am beginning to realize I may not ever be. :( It really is going to depend on you.

HTH,

schums
07-18-2002, 02:21 PM
I was back into most of my pre-maternity stuff by my 6 week checkup. The only thing that didn't fit great were things that were tight before I got pregnant. I think my jeans didn't fit till 8 weeks or so. However, I REALLY watched my weight while pregnant (I was a bit "chunky" when I got pregnant, and the doc wasn't too happy . . .) so I might have gotten back into my clothes earlier than most.

Hope this helps

Sarah

twins r fun
07-18-2002, 02:37 PM
I have no idea what's normal, but by about 4 weeks my maternity jeans were falling off me. I bought a pair of jeans that were one size larger than my prepregnancy jeans and wore them when I went out and sweatpants when I didn't for 2-3 weeks. Then I could fit in my regular jeans. I wore maternity shirts or long shirts as long as I wore the maternity pants (to cover the panel). When I switched to regular jeans I was able to wear regular tops but not my small ones. It was probably 2-2 1/2 months before I wore the smaller shirts. Even when I bought new summer shirts recently (7 months post birth), I still had to buy a larger size than I used to wear. Oh well it's all worth it!

Nicole

jojo2324
07-18-2002, 02:45 PM
I am finding that I can still wear my maternity pj bottoms at 2 weeks post-partum. Everything else is too big. I am having the most luck right now with pre-preg skirts. They don't swaddle my butt and I can hitch up the waist a little bit. Haven't had time yet to go shopping :)

suzska
07-19-2002, 06:35 AM
I wore mostly maternity leggings while I was pregnant, so I wore those for a LONG time (months!) after Evan was born. I have no hope of ever fitting into my pre-pg jeans, I'm afraid. To be comfortable, I have to buy 2 sizes bigger than pre-pg if I want to button the pants. If there's elastic in the waist, I can get by with one size bigger. I still have this little gut that I haven't tried too hard to get rid of--we're thinking about baby #2 now, so I figured "What's the point?!?" I also had a pair of maternity overalls that I wore a lot at the end of my pg, and I still wear them sometimes now--they're a little baggy, but oh, sooo comfy! If/when pg #2 happens, I plan to buy another pair of the overalls from Penney's (probably in black). :-)

ct
07-19-2002, 01:23 PM
I was wearing most of my prepreg clothes about 2-3 months after DD was born (depending on their fit - tighter clothes not til later). For that in between stage where the prepreg aren't very comfortable but the maternity are huge I bought some leggings at JCPenney (they have denims, black, etc.) and wore those and my prepreg overalls. The leggings were comfortable and inexpensive. Best wishes to you...

ct

ellenyko
07-20-2002, 09:16 AM
ellenyko

Hi -- sounds like a very exciting move for you and your family! I would say that I was wearing two or three sizes up from my pre-preg size at 6 weeks -- I fit into a couple pairs of pants and just stuck with them rather than face the depressing prospect of buying more items in bigger sizes than I wished I was. I was back to my pre-preg size by about 10 weeks, I would say. Depending upon your body type, etc., you may be close to your pre-preg size soon after moving so I would recommend having a couple of basics that you can wear over and over when you first move and then more items that you'll find yourself being able to wear -- hopefully, sooner than you think. Have fun!