PDA

View Full Version : Avent sterilizer -- microwave or electric?

smb
07-23-2002, 10:53 AM
We've decided on an Avent sterlizer given all of the good reviews, but are now considering whether to get the microwave or electric version. Electric is much more expensive, but seems to hold more bottles (expecting twins . . .), and I guess could be used anywhere (?). We have a microwave as well, so maybe cheaper is just better? Any thoughts on benefits/drawbacks of either version would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

ct
07-23-2002, 01:54 PM
I have the Avent microwave sterilizer and it worked great for me (of course I only have 1 little one :)). It is very basic, not a lot of parts which is key for me. The more parts things have, the more likely they are to break (and with my luck they will!). The microwave sterilizer is sturdy plastic and since it has no moving parts I know I'll never need another. You could probably get 2 of the microwave ones for the price of the electric if the quantity of bottles to be sterilized is an issue. I would check to see which sterilizes faster too if you end up needing to do multiple batches. Another thought - the electric may be bigger and who has room for another appliance on their counter? I am able to wedge the microwave one into one of my cupboards sideways when not in use since I don't have to worry about motors, etc. Best wishes to you...

ct

Andrews Mom
07-23-2002, 10:58 PM
I also have the microwave sterilizer and have been very happy with it. It's very easy to use and store. Just be careful about putting toys, etc. in to sterilize. My DH "melted" as set of baby teething keys (which I TOLD him were diswasher but not microwave safe - }> :* Oh well!). Even that didn't damage the sterilizer though.

Good luck!

Mindy

megsmom
07-24-2002, 05:36 AM
I used and was very happy with the microwave sterilizer. It holds any type of bottle and it kept me from burning the house down since in my post partum haze I forgot the stove was boiling a few times. Thanks goodness I had added a lot of water! :) Because of the wattage of my microwave, I only had to run the microwave 4 min and then wait a few minutes for it to cool down so I didn't get a steam burn. The one I have only holds 4 bottles so that may or may not be enough for you.

suzska
07-24-2002, 07:30 AM
I also had the microwave one and was very happy with it. I didn't use the Avent bottles, so it took 5 minutes in my microwave at full power. I wouldn't have had the counter space for the electric one. And I too melted some teething toys in the sterilizer--oops! But the sterilizer was fine.