PDA

View Full Version : back to work-using both bottles and breastfeeding?

nina
07-25-2002, 12:13 PM
For those that return to work, do you still breastfeed in the mornings and evenings?? Or is it better to just pump and give the baby bottles only for consistency??

kerriflan
07-25-2002, 01:03 PM
I went back to work after 9 weeks (she's 3 months now) and do both... breastfeed and give bottles. My dd never had any problem taking a bottle and would still go to the breast. She never got confused. So, I breastfeed her in the morning, she gets 2-3 bottles during the day, and then I breastfeed her again at night. It's worked out fine so far. I think it would be too much work to pump all the time... and I don't particularly enjoy it. But I guess it all depends on your baby and how adaptable he/she is. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Kerri

joodyjr
07-25-2002, 08:51 PM
I breastfed first thing in morning, pumped 3 times a day while at work, (same schedule as if I was nursing) and nursed 2 more times in evening. We did this for about 6 months until he was 9 months old and weaned himself.

nina
07-27-2002, 08:16 AM
Thanks, for your replies.

Can I ask which bottle system you use and any advice?

I've used Avent bottles once in a while with pumped BM, and baby seems okay with it, but just wondering if there is another brand that others like better.

egoldber
07-27-2002, 08:43 AM
My mainly bf baby never cared what kind of bottles I used and never had a problem with nipple confusion. Personally, I didn't like Avent and always used the J&J Healthflow bottles. Many people just use the plain Gerber bottles. Your baby may or may not have a preference. You can always buy one or two others and experiment.

HTH,

kerriflan
07-29-2002, 09:55 AM
I bought a few different kinds before my dd was born and tried them all. She doesn't seem to have a preference - we mostly use Playtex disposables and Avent but have tried J & J Healthflow and a few others. She has never gotten confused and still goes to the breast, which she definately prefers. The one bottle that she decided that she doesn't like are the ones from the hospital- the little 2 once disposable with pre-made formula. I'm not sure if it is the formula or the nipple but she definately does not like those. I think it all depends on the baby.

Kerri

Zansu
07-29-2002, 03:09 PM
DS has definite preferences. He likes the old-fashioned rubber Nuk nipples which we use with Medela and Gerber bottles. He didn't like the Avent nipples at all, and doesn't really even like the silicone Nuks.

It took a few tries before he would take a bottle, and he still prefers breast. His latch seems to be a little different since he started using bottles during the day, but given his growth rate, he's definitely getting enough to eat!

kgdolan
07-30-2002, 08:53 PM
My baby is 6 months old and we have a good routine down. We nurse in the morning. I pump 3-4 times all day and then he gets to nurse at night when he's home. There are 2 points I wanted to make about nursing:

1. My baby always gets to nurse when I pick him up from daycare. He really seems to look forward to this and gets very fussy if this part of his routine is disrupted. Even when I work away from home all night, my hyusband brings the baby to work so he can nurse right after daycare. Nursing is more than nutrition for most babies. It's really a comfort thing as well. :)

2. The baby is much more efficient at stimulating milk production when they are nursing. Hence your supply may remain better if you nurse while you are with your baby.

Hope that helps,
Gail (mom of Jack 1-16-02)

daisymommy
08-01-2002, 06:59 AM
I will start off by confessing that baby #1 is still on the way (2 weeks to go!)--so no, I do not have actual hands on experience in this category...only a strong opinion from working with children for the last 12 years in day care & preschool. Please remember, the whole point of breastfeeding is not solely to give your child breastmilk (which is best), but also to reap the benefits of that close physical bond that in many ways only actual breastfeeding can provide. If you can help it, and baby will take both breast and bottle, studies show you are much better off getting in any time you can actually nursing from the breast once you are together. I doubt you'll regret it!