PDA

View Full Version : engorgement when baby sleeps

nina
07-27-2002, 08:11 AM
hi

My son has been sleeping through the night for a week now (THANK GOODNESS!!) . Obviously since I'm not feeding during the night anymore, I get engorged. I thought this would regulate itself, but hasn't in a week. Does anyone know how long it takes?

Also, for the first feeding, the baby only takes to one breast and I pump out the other (5 oz). Does that seem like the right thing to do?

THANKS MUCH
Nina

egoldber
07-27-2002, 08:40 AM
It will probably just take a bit more time for the engorgement to ease. Your body will adjust. And your pumping schedule sounds great! You're lucky your baby is satisfied with one breast. Mine never was and it was hard to find a good time to pump.

HTH,

elaine_l
08-26-2002, 05:51 PM
About the time the engorgement eases your baby will decide to wake in the middle of the night again. ;)

Don't worry about it too much. A week or two should make you more comfortable, and as time goes on your body will be more forgiving of schedule changes. I slept with a large soft towel under me to take care of any leaks, and/or at times I slept with a nursing bra with breast pads.