PDA

View Full Version : Baby Formula Savings

Cindder
08-06-2002, 07:19 AM
Hi, I am currently using Isomil Soy formula (I can no longer breastfeed), and was wondering if anyone knows where I can get the best deals on purchasing this stuff. If I would buy the large cans 1lb,14 oz)at a grocery store or Toys R Us, it costs me around $23.00/can. I recently went on Ebay and was able to save alot ($16.00/can), but I was wondering if anyone has other ideas. I would purchase a case to get a better savings if need be (Toys R Us doesnt discount price if buying a larger quantity). Also, I use Pampers Custom Cruisers and would love to know where to get a good deal there too. I have purchased coupons on Ebay.

Thanks so much for any help!!!

suzska
08-06-2002, 12:35 PM
I'd be really careful buying formula on eBay. Maybe that's just me. I remember the story a while back of people stealing cases of formula from the big stores. Now I can't remember what they did with it after that, but I do know that they were changing labels or exp. dates.

Anyway, having said that, when we were buying formula (ready-to-feed regula Similac), the best prices were at Wal-Mart and sometimes Target. The price could change from week to week, but it was MUCH better than buying it at the grocery store or even TRU.

Have you signed up to get coupons from Pampers? They always seem to send me a ton in the mail and we pretty much just buy Huggies. Then my relatives give me a ton from the newspaper circulars. They usually expire before I get to use them. Again, I usually just buy the diapers at Target or Wal-Mart, depending who has the better price that week--but for diapers it's usually Target.

Cindder
08-06-2002, 12:43 PM
Wow! I didnt know that about baby formula. I figured as long as it said "new, unopened" and gave the expiration date,I was safe. I will definately rethink this. Thank you!

Deanne

egoldber
08-06-2002, 01:15 PM
There was a big article about this in the Washington Post about a year ago. Unscrupulous people will steal formula from store shelves or from warehouses, somtimes cut it to make it go farther, and re-package it for sale. According to the Post, they would usually re-sell either through Ebay or local covenience type stores. My ped told me to only buy formula from large retailers like chain grocery store or Target type stores for this reason. Also according to the Post, formula was one of the most common shoplifted items in stores, which is why stores like my local Safeway now only have it behind the desk and you have to ask for it.

Have you thought about using the store brand formulas? These are much less expensive and may be a good alternative for you. I know that they have a soy formulation. Always ask your ped though before switching brands. :)

HTH,

kerriflan
08-06-2002, 02:11 PM
I somehow got onto mailing lists from both Similac and Enfamil and they have sent me free cans of formula and coupons for as much as $10 off, equal to a free can. The programs are almost identical...they send a newsletter every few weeks or so geared to your baby's age that include coupons for different amounts... from $1 to $10. Although I think I only received the $10 ones the first time. The coupons have gotten smaller as time goes on.

My mom is on the same mailing list too... and neither of us know how we got on it. (Maybe from Motherhood Maternity store?) Anyway, I just looked on both of their websites and there is an online registration form for both programs. Since I was enrolled before my baby was born, they may not send you the free cans or the $10 coupons, but I can't be sure. I received them before the baby was born. You can probably make up a due date to be sure you get them.

here are the websites:
Similac - http://www.welcomeaddition.com
Enfamil - http://www.meadjohnson.com/nutrition/efb/index.html

Hope this helps.

Kerri

Cindder
08-06-2002, 03:22 PM
Thank you for yor help. I also received those coupons, and you're right, the older the child, the smaller the $$ amounts!

Regards,

Deanne

jojo2324
08-07-2002, 07:48 AM
Do you have some sort of price club near you? I go to BJs and get wipes and diapers. We aren't into formula yet (and with all the free samples, don't think we'll need to get some for a while!) but I have seen the Isomil soy formula there... I think it was the ready to serve bottles, maybe four big ones for $25? Not sure, but you should look into it. We were able to get 228 for almost $30, not bad when the grocery store charges $12.99 for 48.

luvbeinmama
08-07-2002, 07:14 PM
I used the WalMart store brand formula (just couldn't bring myself to spend over $20 a can), and DS liked it and did just fine on it. It costs between $12 & $13 for a large can. Thats a $8-10 savings PER CAN! Oh, and the same people seem to make ALL the "store" brand formula (Wyeth Laboratories), so if you do go for the store brand, just go to the place that sells it for less (WalMart, in my area).

Cindder
08-07-2002, 07:51 PM
I am near a Costco, but last I checked they don't sell Isomil soy formula. I also use Pampers Cruisers, and I dont think they had that type either (I think they sell the Pampers Baby dry.

Thank you for your reply,

Deanne

zoethebeagle
08-10-2002, 09:29 PM
I just found big boxes of Pampers Custom Fit Cruisers at Sam's Club in sizes 3-5.

Cindder
08-11-2002, 07:59 AM
What was the selling price of those diapers? I will have to check, but I don't think we have a Sam's club near us...

Regards,

Deanne

candybomiller
08-12-2002, 05:45 PM
Our Costco has the Isomil formula and they charge $22.49 for 2 lb 4 oz size which makes approx 262 fl oz of formula. Hope you can find it at your Costco!
Candy

brubeck
08-13-2002, 09:17 PM
I always found Target and Walmart to have the cheapest prices on formula by a few dollars on a 2 pound can.

Recently Babies R Us has had cardboard cases of Pampers Premium at a very good price ($19 or $20 per box, depending on size). There are 2 jumbo bags in every box. If you get those 15% off coupons from American Baby you can use them to get another $3 off, and then on top of that you are allowed to use a manufacturer's coupon if you have one. This is by far the best deal I have found on Pampers Premium and I am regularly getting the equivalent of 2 jumbo bags for $15 or so. The best part is that I can use my Toys R Us credit card on this and earn 4% of the purchase in a gift certificate. But that's another story.

If you use Pampers Baby Dry, Babies R Us also has cases of that, as does Costco.

Babygirl
08-26-2002, 08:43 PM
Costco sells formula online - a 36 ounce can is $22.49 plus shipping and handling. You can order several cans and stock up and also save yourself the constant trips to Costco when you run out. My dd goes through one of these every 12 days!

Good luck!