PDA

View Full Version : Best bottle for EBM

kellyL
08-09-2002, 09:25 PM
Hi. My daughter only gets a bottle once in awhile (maybe once a week) from husband or my mom if I am not available. She is 8 weeks. I currently use the ADVENT bottles with newborn nipples. I will be going back to work soon and hope to pump and continue Breastfeeding exculusively. I notice that the advent bottles somtimes have alot of air bubbles. We are having a gas problems and don't want it to get worse. We had nipple confusion at first bc hospital gave her bottles bc of low glucose levels. Things are ok now and I don't want to confuse her again. My instincts say to stick with Advent and not introduce a new nipple but if there are better ones with less air? Would disposable be better? Also, I am using the newborn (1) when should I use their other nipples (slow medium fast flow?)
Thanks
Kelly

Your

Rachels
08-10-2002, 12:18 PM
Hi. If breastfeeding is now well-established, nipple confusion shouldn't be a problem anymore. She may or may not like a new nipple, but it shouldn't interrupt your breastfeeding relationship. I have had better luck with Dr. Brown's bottles since my daughter is also prone to gassiness, gagging, and choking. We also only use a bottle every so often, and I find that she has a lot less trouble with these. Some people seem to not like the extra effort to clean these bottles, but I truly don't find it to be a very big deal. You can get them at places like Wal-Mart and Baby Depot. Some people have mentioned finding them at BRU, although the one near me doesn't seem to carry them. Just FYI, it may also be worth trying Mylicon drops when your baby is gassy if you haven't already. I hear that babies respond to them with varying levels of success, but they REALLY help my daughter. Good luck!
-Rachel

Melanie
08-11-2002, 05:15 PM
We used Dr. Brown's WIDE NECK. I only found them at Baby Depot or online at their website. Their nipples don't seem to be different than Avent, I have both. I had trouble with my Dr. Brown's leaking while warming, though, so I'm not sure if that is just me or what.

Make sure if you buy some that they have the travel disks in them. Mine from Baby Depot, did not. I contacted the manufacturer and they sent me a bunch. Also, if you buy 3 bottles you get one free.

Mommy to Jonah

Zansu
08-12-2002, 01:15 PM
I just saw the wide-mouth Dr. Brown's at BRU over the weekend. So hopefully they shouldn't be too difficult to find.

cara1
08-15-2002, 12:41 PM
Stick with the Avent. I don't buy that bottle type changes gassiness. My baby is 6 mos, and still using the newborn nipple just fine; the back of the box says it's good for breastfed babies at any age.