PDA

View Full Version : Weaning and mixing with breastmilk.....what formula?

belindapooh
08-10-2002, 08:52 PM
Hi all - I was curious as to what other moms did when they started weaning. I work full time and pump breastmilk while at work. I'm down to nursing in the morning and in the evening and pumping only at lunchtime. I used to pump 3x at work then 2 and now am down to 1. I've got a lot of milk in the freezer too. I want to stop pumping at work (it's hard work and tiring) and just nurse in the morning and evening and then just use the milk in the freezer mixed with formula. My pediatrician stated as long as the formula was iron that it didn't really matter. He also said that Carnation was easier to digest than Enfamil and Similac. Well Carnation has Good Start and Follow Up and I'm not sure which to use. My dd is 6mths and is eating solids so I figured Follow Up (more calcium) but I don't think it has the "comfort proteins" as Good Start which makes it easier to digest. My other issue is this - power, concentrated or ready to feed? I'm inclinded to ready to feed as it's fast and easy. However I don't see myself using 32oz within 2 days because I'll be mixing it with breastmilk. At the beginning I'll be starting out with an ounce and then increase it so it's 50/50 mix. She takes 3 - 6oz bottles so I'd only use 18oz in 2 days. So I figure it'd be best to buy powder so I only make what I need but I'd really rather use ready to feed. Carnation only has ready to feed in the 32oz and the concentrate in 13oz. I did see at the grocery store today that Enfamil and Similac have packs of 8oz ready to feed cans. I didn't figure out the cost to see if it was more than a big 32oz can but for me I wouldn't waste any of it. When I finally do run out of breastmilk in the freezer maybe in about a month or so then I'll be 100% formula at daycare and still undecided on when I'll stop morning & evening nursing. Then at this time I'd be able to use a full 32oz can in 2 days. Anyway any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Belinda
Mom to Nyah born 2/6/02

ct
08-11-2002, 02:03 PM
I also weaned (at 5 mo) by mixing breastmilk with formula and gradually moving to more and more formula as my bm supply dwindled. I just wanted to warn you from buying too much of any specific brand of formula at first. I had heard so many good things about Carnation (Good Start) so I went out and bought a huge container (powder). Well, of course my daughter couldn't tolerate it (made her projectile vomit - scary as that had never happened before!). So next I thought I'd try Enfamil as I had friends who also used that and again bought a large container. You guessed, DD hated it and wouldn't drink it. Finally I gave her Similac and she loved it. Go figure. Anyway, the whole 'what formula to feed' excursion cost a lot because I bought large containers (not thinking that DD wouldn't be able/willing to consume them). See if you can get your hands on samples of various brands, or try buying smaller quantities of various brands (one at a time though - you may be lucky and hit it right from the start! :)) so you don't get burned if your DD doesn't like some of them. Best wishes to you...

ct

belindapooh
08-11-2002, 04:01 PM
ct - Thanks for the advice....I appreciate it. Do you think I should use powder, concentrate, or ready to feed? Do you think there is a difference that your dd could tell? I could just by a ready to feed can for $3 and see if she likes it right? If so then I could just get powder so I won't waste the can since I'm mixing it with breastmilk. Thanks I appreciate your thoughts since you've been through what I'm starting to do.

Belinda

ct
08-12-2002, 01:54 PM
I actually never used concentrate or ready to feed so unfortunately I can't help you there. I believe I've read that the concentrates and ready to feeds are sometimes a different consistency than the powder mixed with water (what I've heard is that powder with water is more 'watery' than the others, but can't say for sure if that is true). Other than that, the differences are mainly price and convenience. I'd try whatever you feel is easiest for you. I wanted to use powder as it is less expensive and has a longer shelf-life because you only mix what you need. Plus, I have a hot-cold water cooler I used to mix bottles so I didn't need to worry about heating up a bottle - we have well water here and I don't like to drink it myself let alone give it to my DD :). My DD would not take an unwarmed bottle unfortunately, so a warm bottle was a must for us. If I was you I would definitely try a cold or room temp one though at the beginning as that would make life MUCH easier for you. Try what you think is best and your little one will let you know (believe me!) whether you are on the right track!! Best of luck to you...

ct

Just thought I'd add that that this time around (my 2nd is due 11/8) I plan on trying out the store brand formula as well when I get to the weaning stage. It didn't occur to me to try it with DD, but as the saying goes, a penny saved is a penny earned... and formula is EXPENSIVE!!

belindapooh
08-12-2002, 07:34 PM
ct - congrats on the upcoming second one....I'm leaning towards either Carnation or Soy formula. It seems everyone I've talked to about weaning said the soy worked the best. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

Belinda

ct
08-13-2002, 01:25 PM
Thanks! I have no personal experience with Soy formulas, so unfortunately I can't help you there either. I too have heard great things about soy formulas, but those I know who used them did so because of a lactose-intolerance type issue. You could check with your pediatrician to see what they think about using soy vs. regular formula. I'm sure they could point you in the right direction!! Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Best wishes to you...

ct

brubeck
08-13-2002, 09:10 PM
The best thing to do is dig out all those free formula samples you got when you were pregnant and try them all. Carnation actually gives out coupons for free cans in it's 'Very Best Baby' magazine, and I rode a long time on those since I was only using formula occasionally to supplement my pumped milk. My daughter ended up liking Enfamil the best but I think every baby has their own preference.

If you don't have free samples, call up Enfamil, Similac and Carnation and tell them you are weaning and get on their mailing lists now. They should mail you some cans soon. If you find that your baby doesn't like one you can trade with other Moms whose babies have difference preferences. I traded my Similac cans for Enfamil cans with a friend.

Ready to Feed is disgustingly expensive, and must be used so quickly that it's usually not worth it. The Concentrated has to be mixed with water anyway, so it's no less work than powder. I used powder from the first.

Warning: some babies love the 'smoothness' of ready to feed and will never accept a bottle of powdered. Beware of this if you try the liquid formulas!

egoldber
08-15-2002, 08:55 AM
The AAP indicates that infants who can tolerate it should be using a milk based formula. Only infants who need a soy formulation should be on them. There is a lot of folk wisdom out there indicating that soy formulas are better, but there is some concern over the ability of soy formulas to deliver all the proteins necessary. Check out this link for more info: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/0/T000100.asp

You really need to experiment to find the formula that works best. My DD would only really tolerate Enfamil. I have primarily used powder, but also use RTF and concentrate when convenience dictates (mostly when traveling). I have found that she prefers powder over the others. There is definitely a different consistency between the various types. From my own selfish standpoint, I have found that powder stains less easily than does RTF!

If you have mommy friends that are using formula, ask them for samples. They may have free samples still laying around (I know I do) or they probably won't mind giving you a bit of formula to try.

HTH,

ct
08-15-2002, 02:12 PM
Using a milk based formula if it is tolerated makes sense to me. I have friends who weren't lactose intolerant, they just gave up eating dairy and now they can't tolerate dairy when they do want to eat it. Their doctors told them that there are enzymes in your stomach that are used for such digestion and if you don't 'exercise' them by eating the foods that need those enzymes, eventually their numbers decrease and you end up lactose intolerant. True or not, I don't know. With regard to samples, definitely see if the companies will send you some. If you got some from the doctor or friends, be sure to check the expiration date on them. I found that by the time I weaned all my samples had expired (seems like whenever I get a sample of something it expires relatively soon - maybe that's how they get rid of stuff that is going to expire?). Some samples I received in the mail expired before my baby was even born, lots of use those were :)! Good luck...

ct

luvbeinmama
08-15-2002, 05:46 PM
There have also been some articles I've seen about worry over the excess estrogen levels in soy. My son can't have milk, so I don't worry about it, but if you can use the milk-based formula, I would DEFINITELY stick with that.

belindapooh
08-15-2002, 07:00 PM
Thanks for all the advice. Beth - Thanks for the link; it really helped me. I'm going to go ahead and start on either the Enfamil or Similac with DHA and if neither of those work, I'm going to go with the Carnation Good Start. I'll be mixing with frozen breastmilk - do I have to chill the formula first before adding like when you're adding breastmilk? I'm leaning towards RTF - easier when working full time and it's not too expensive at the military commissary. Thanks.

Belinda

egoldber
08-15-2002, 07:53 PM
If the formula is HOT when you make it, then I would chill it before adding it to breastmilk. I find that I need to have the water pretty daggone hot when I mix powder formula in order to prevent lumps and ensure a good consistency. If you use the powder it is very easy to mix up a large-ish batch the night before you need it, so it has cooled when you use it. Once mixed, the powder is good for 48 hours when stored in the refrigerator.

Concentrate is generally cheaper than RTF and almost as convenient. It is also easier to store larger quantities since it is "smaller". But, depending on where you live and the pricing in your area, the cost difference in RTF, concentrate and powder may not be that great per ounce of formula, so I would buy what is most convenient for you.

HTH,