PDA

View Full Version : Bottlefeeding: Do you boil water?

plum
08-26-2002, 09:13 PM
I am bottlefeeding my two week old baby. Things seem to be going rather well. However, I was curious - for those of you who are also bottlefeeding, do you sterilize your water? I've been using nursery water at room temperature, without boiling it. After some perusal on the internet this afternoon, I've read conflicting advice that I should be boiling the nursery water but other advice that says it's not necessary.

What do you do?

kel
son Trevor born 8/13/02

egoldber
08-26-2002, 10:21 PM
Always ask your pediatrician. But mine told me it wasn't necessary and I was very happy to follow his advice!

HTH,

megsmom
08-27-2002, 11:48 AM
I agree on asking the pediatrician. It depends on your local water supply purity, age of your baby, health issues with baby, etc. My ped also said that we didn't have to boil the water so we never did.

Jen
mom to Meghan
7/13/01

suzska
08-28-2002, 06:36 PM
Whenever I used powdered formula (I usually used ready-to-feed), I would use bottled water or distilled water. We have a water cooler in our kitchen and use that (distilled water) for drinking water. I wouldn't drink the stuff that comes out of our tap. You could always have your water tested if you were concerned about the quality. But when you say "nursery water" I assume you're talking about the bottled stuff anyway since that's what our water delivery company calls the distilled stuff that they've added flouride to (at least I think that's what it is). If that's the case, there would be no need to boil it.

plum
08-28-2002, 08:24 PM
Thanks for your messages. My pediatrician did say it wasn't necessary to boil but I guess I wasn't convinced. Probably that new mother paranoia I seem to have. Thanks again.

Melanie
08-31-2002, 05:18 PM
I have seen that Nursery Water has flouride in it. You might want to do some research as to ingested flouride (i.e. in water VS. applied via toothpaste) for babies.

Mommy to Jonah