PDA

View Full Version : when to pump to have extra in freezer?

spu
09-08-2002, 12:29 PM
Hi there!
I'm breastfeeding my 7 week old twin girls and rented a pump from the hospital. I'd like to get a supply of expressd milk going in the freezer to have on hand for nighttime feedings or if we're going somewhere where I won't be able to nurse. What's the best way to get a supply going? Should I pump after each feeding? or pump a few times a week? Is there a better time to pump during the day? It seems like I get the most milk during nursing during the wee hours of the morning through lunchtime, then it slows down a bit as long as the babies are eating regularly.

Any suggestions would be great!

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte + else

http://sunger10.tripod.com/babies.html

elaine_l
09-11-2002, 06:30 PM
I usually tried to pump in between feedings, maybe once a day. Just try it whenever you're feeling a bit full.

I froze small portions - no more than maybe 3-4 oz per bag - so that when they were defrosted it was likely it would all get used with that feeding.

cara1
09-12-2002, 10:17 AM
Pump first thing in the AM- milk supply is greatest then. I can't imagine trying to squeeze it in between feedings and during the day when you're nursing TWINS!! Are you supplementing with formula???

egoldber
09-12-2002, 03:06 PM
I would pump whenever you seem to be the most full. I used to pump after I nursed Sarah first thing in the morning. I could always get a few more ounces. I would also pump at night before I went to bed while DH gave a bottle.

I think you need to be pretty religious about the pumping to get enough additional supply built up to get enough extra. To be honest, I wasn't really that dedicated to it. We just started to use formula for the night feeding. That worked for us for several months. (Until I dropped 2 feedings, then my total supply quickly dropped. But I was basically ready to quit bf by then anyway).

My hats off to you for successfully breastfeeding twins!

spu
09-16-2002, 01:43 PM
great advice. thanks!! I've thought about giving the babies a bottle of expressed milk at night since my supply runs a little slower, but I'm afraid if I skip a feeding, my supply will start to decrease for real. I suppose I could pump during the skipped meal.

Sometimes when one baby wakes during the night to feed and the other sleeps, I found pumping after the first baby helps alot with the engorgement. and I refill pretty quickly during the middle of the night. weird how that works.

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else