PDA

View Full Version : various pump questions

jojo2324
09-12-2002, 09:49 AM
Hi all...I have the Medela Pump in Style. I just started back at work two weeks ago and am trying to build up a supply for DS. Just one problem: I am a waitress and am unable to pump during the night, so I just pump when I get home and pump about 5-7 oz.

problem 1: My milk supply is definitely diminishing. The first couple of nights at work I was so engorged by the time my shift ended I was near tears. Now, I barely notice any engorgement. Should I pump all day long, trying to increase my production?

problem 2: I do have some milk that's frozen. I usually pull it out the night before I want to use it; that's about 24 hours for it to thaw. Every batch I've pulled out has been bad. Some times I won't freeze it immediately following pumping, so I don't know if it was bad when I put it in the freezer, or if it's going bad while thawing. But it's not like I'm letting the milk sit in the fridge for a week and then freezing it. And most of the time I put it in the freezer right after I've pumped.

problem 3: What is the general consensus for time periods with milk in the fridge/freezer/out in the open? I've read several different things: just pumped can stay out in the open for 7-8 hours. In the fridge up to 8 days, but I've also read 5. In the freezer for 6 months, but also 3 months. What have you done?

Okay, I know it's long. Sorry...One more question: With the PIS, what is the point of the white rubber disk that sticks to the yellow spout that attaches to the pump? TIA!

cara1
09-12-2002, 10:15 AM
1. Are you sure you can't pump once in a break at work? I've heard people say that you will eventually balance out and not get so engorged, but then you may not be able to provide as much EBM when you're at work (though you may still be able to continue nursing when you're home.
2. Check the temp in your freezer. Are other foods bad?
3. up to 9 hrs I think at room temp; I've even heard (from my lact consultant who was at a recent meeting of lact consultants) that, in contrast to formula, it's okay to reuse EBM that baby has already sucked on within 24 hours (or was it 9?) In any case, you don't have to throw it out just because Baby contaminated the nipple. 5 days in fridge (but sometimes mine smells funny after 4). 4-5 months in freezer if it is a regular, separate freezer. If it is a freezer within the fridge (the kinds where the ice builds up and stuff), it's less.
4. I think you need the white disks to maintain the vacduum. Sometimes when I don't attach it properly, I can't express anything from either breast, and I hear air leaking.

Hope this helps!

jojo2324
09-12-2002, 12:33 PM
Thanks for your advice. I definitely can't pump at work. We don't get a break per se; we might be standing around a lot, but you never know when a huge group of tables is going to come in. I wouldn't be able to take 20 minutes to go and pump. And then if I could, I would have to do it in my car, not too much fun now that it's getting chilly. Also, my boss is not overly in tune with me being a working mommy. My first week back she had me scheduled for doubles...I had to calmly explain that unless she wanted me to burst all over her customers that just wasn't an option. I still don't think she gets it. I will check my freezer; a while back we did have some bad salmon. But DH wasn't sure if it was bad when he brought it home. We should really start sniffing things, huh? :)

brubeck
09-12-2002, 02:14 PM
It's up to you how far you want to push this with your boss (I know realities are different from ideals) but in many states you are LEGALLY ENTITLED to time off to pump, and often a place to do it. Check with your local La Leche League and they can help you on this. They can also help you with legal advice if your boss starts resenting your extra time spent on this.

egoldber
09-12-2002, 03:01 PM
Here's a link to the FAQ on the La Leche League website for info about breastmilk storage: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html The LLL has a really terrific FAQ with a lot of good info.

If you are not pumping at working, you are basically skipping one (or more) feedings while you are at work. While your body "may" adjust to this without lessening your milk supply the rest of the time, it is quite possible your supply will diminish. I know that when I was breastfeeding, I was able to drop one feeding a day without affecting my milk supply, but once I dropped 2 feedings, then my total supply diminished very quickly after that.

Have you every hung out at the ParentsPlace Working and Pumping board? This is a great site. These women have a lot of really good info about working and pumping for baby's first year. They will probably be able to help you out a lot. Here's a link to the ParentsPlace board: http://www.parentsplace.com/messageboards/
The Working and Pumping Board is about half way down in the right hand column.

The white rubber disk is needed to maintain vacuum on the PIS.

Do you have the frozen milk on the door of the freezer? If so, there may be temp fluctuations that allow it to slightly thaw and refreeze, making it go bad. Stuff I have read says to store in the back of the freezer. Do you have the freezer all the way up or can you make it colder? If you're not storing on the door and you have the temp as cold as it can go, it sounds like you may need some service work done on your freezer (or maybe a new one if it is old).

HTH,

jojo2324
09-12-2002, 09:45 PM
Thanks everyone...Freezer is fine, and even if I am legally entitled to pump at work, it really just isn't feasible. I work for tips, and if I miss tables then I miss tips and I should have just stayed home. I have definitely dropped at least two feedings, maybe three. My milk only came in once tonight at work and now I'm wondering if I should even bother to pump because he feeds to sleep.

I'm starting to get very depressed. I need to work, there are no two ways around it, unless I win the lotto. But BFing is very important to me. I can tell that there is a noticeable difference during the day as well.

If I just pump a lot during the day will that increase my production, at least during those hours? Thanks!

nina
09-12-2002, 10:24 PM
I think if you pump more often during the day, it should help. I go from 10pm - 6am with no pump/no feeds.....but I'm still able to produce enough for most of his feeds during the day.
At one point, my supply started to diminish because I work and solely pump during the day.... and based on some helpful advice from this message board, I started to pump every 2 hours during the day for a few days (and keep pumping an extra 5 minutes even after no milk is coming out)...and I think it helped. I don't have an OVERabundance, but it's enough to feed DS.

Hope that helps, and best of luck....

Nina
Mom to Justin 5/28/02

egoldber
09-13-2002, 07:22 AM
I agree, the more you pump, the more it will help your supply. You may want to contact a lactation sonsultant for advice. They may suggest things like fenugreek (an herb) to help increase supply, etc. Also make sure to drink a lot of fluids. Staying well hydrated is key to being able to make breastmilk.

Good luck!

spu
09-17-2002, 11:42 AM
I'm in a similar situation with dropping a feeding. I have twins, 8 wks old, and they're starting to sleep through the night - about 6 hours or so. If only one baby wakes up, I feed her, and then pump to empty from the nighttime engorgement. If neither of the babies wakes, than I end up sleeping through the night too and wake up extremely engorged, but the babies don't seem to mind - it's just a rush to get them both on so I don't drip all over the place. Could missing a middle of the night feeding cause my supply to diminish?

I'm currently renting a pump and I"m thinking of purchasing either the Medela Pump in style or the Ameda Purely Yours. any more thoughts on either of these? I'm not working, so pumping at work isn't an issue.

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else