PDA

View Full Version : Boppy or My Brest Friend

cchavez
10-16-2002, 08:10 PM
I am wondering which is better the boppy or my brest friend. I like the idea that MBF velcros around your waist. Thanks.

joodyjr
10-16-2002, 09:02 PM
I used Boppy with my son. While it was a must for nursing (never did figure out how to nurse w/out it), I never loved it. The rounded shape made it difficult to keep it close to my body and I continually found myself readjusting it to keep it near me. My sons body would roll between me and Boppy causing it to push away. Plus, after awhile it seemed to have lost it's firmness. I've got the MBF for this baby but she's not here yet, (any time now) so I can't comment on it, but I chose it based on several great reviews it received. Besides the velcro strap, I really like the flatter, firmer surface. Alot of moms did complain about the velcro being really loud and waking baby up if they tried to take it off before being completely out of the room from baby. To me it's a minor detail that I can live with. Based on my experience with Boppy (9 months worth) I think MBF will suit us well! My 2 year old now calls Boppy his "moon" and watches his videos on it. It's still getting used!

joodyjr
10-16-2002, 09:04 PM
Just thought I'd add: I highly recommend getting a nursing stool. I didn't have one w/DS and am soooo sorry I didn't. I've got my feet propped up on my new Medela nursing stool as I type. It'll hang out here under the computer until the baby comes!!

MinnieMouse
10-17-2002, 10:01 AM
I loved my boppy. Never had any problems nursing with it....and it was great for dd to use as well to be propped up either sitting or on her tummy. I stayed away from the My Breast Friend because of the velcro as well as the fact that it looked too bulky around the back in order to sit comfortably.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the boppy at all. And I TOTALLY agree about the nursing stool...it's a MUST have. We got one from Walmart (I think it was the Lanisoh brand..not sure) and it was less expensive than the Medela one available at Babies R Us.

Christine

cara1
10-17-2002, 01:35 PM
Though preferences are as varied as breast types :), I like MBF hands down. We started with Boppy. DS kept rolling in between the pillow and me as someone else had mentioned. Plus, it's soft, and doesn't lift him up enough. MBF is firm, straight, no falling off, and has back support (I didn't think I needed this, but miraculously, my back stopped hurting after I started using it!). Although undoing the velcro used to wake up DS (and freak out the cats), I avoid that now by slipping it off over my waist without undoing it (though I am pretty skinny). You can also sort of walk around while he's nursing using this pillow. love it love it love it THey also sell an inflatable one for travel, but I don't know anyone who has used it. The last thing I'm going to do in a public place when DS is screaming for food is sit there and blow up a pillow!

Momof3Labs
10-17-2002, 04:24 PM
I tried both and MUCH prefer MBF. It fits better and puts the baby in a better position than the Boppy, IMHO. The velcro is noisy and catches on things if you aren't careful, but does provide a much better fit.

Lori
mommy to Colin Daniel 9/28/02

atlmom
10-18-2002, 10:11 PM
Another vote for MBF. When ds was younger and fell asleep nursing, I could let him stay on the pillow without having to hold him. Got a lot of work on the computer done this way in the first few months. I'm also in the camp who slide the pillow off and just step out of it when baby falls asleep.

Ashley
mom to Spencer 4.9.02

redchannah
10-21-2002, 09:12 PM
I second (?) the MBF, love it , I had the Boppy and just didn't have that great an experience with it. Moved too much. I love the MBF and will get it for anyone as a gift from now on. BTW I got mine off of Ebay for around 25 dollars (with shipping)from a nurse who sells these dutch. You might want to check. You don't get a color choice but its alot cheaper than from other places. HTH

Carlene

nickykzo
10-23-2002, 06:50 PM
I definitely liked MBF better, much better, than the Boppy. It's more comfortable, it stays where you want it thanks to the Velcro, and it is flat so the baby doesn't roll down into the crack between you and the pillow. Also, the MBF is adjustable, which makes it fit much better.

Nicky

suribear
10-25-2002, 02:40 PM
I had both and much much prefer MBF. The boppy used to slide off and didn't give enough support. The MBF was perfect!!! The velcro does make some noise - undo is slowly if you can.

Kris

joodyjr
10-26-2002, 05:59 PM
Just thought I'd update on my previous post. The baby is here now (yay!!) and I've been using MBF. At first it was not working for us like I'd hoped, but the problem was me not the pillow. Since we're still learning how to latch properly, I've found MBF to be a necessity! The firm surface makes it easier. I love it. Plus after nursing, I put her up on my shoulder as she's sleeping and can prop a book or magazine on the MBF and read! She doesn't even flinch when I undo the velcro! Sometimes I just keep it on, turn it to the side to stand at the changing table change her diaper and slide it back around to finish nursing! I do still use boppy at night in the bedroom. Regardless of which one it is, I'm glad I have two nursing pillows!

ecarley
11-05-2002, 04:25 PM
I *LOVED* the Boppy. I think it might have something to do with wieght loss. My waist went back down pretty quick so I had no trouble keeping the baby close to my body. And I don't know about MBF, but Boppies are completely machine washable, and they have covers now too so you can clean that when you just have a minor mess.

We also used our Boppy long after we were done breastfeeding at 6 months. We would prop the baby up so she could practice sitting, and she liked hanging over it on her tummy so she got a nice view of the world, not just face-planted in the floor.

gour0
11-11-2002, 09:48 AM
I don't know if you've decided yet, but if you go with the My Brest Friend they're still on clearance at Yahoo!Shopping for $18.00 plus shipping.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/breastfeeding-needs/nurpilmybesf.html

You can also buy the same pillow marketed under the name Lansinoh for $25.00 at Baby Universe. They have a promo for free shipping right now. Promo code is AFFILWIN

http://www.babyuniverse.com/pro.asp?id=16555&estship=1&#est_shipping

Lastly, if you don't mind ebay, I bought one for $1.99 plus $6.99 shipping. It was used, but the cover is removable and washable so I don't mind.

Don't know if this helps anyone or not, but thought it was worth mentioning. :7